Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

0 members and 3,281 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Master Escape Artist!

My BP Archimedes has made his first escape, and I'm majorly worried even though he didn't go far. I came home, opened my door, and found him on top of his cage (which is a 40G breeder, 17 inches tall) where he must've pushed up the screen, as heavy as it is, and squeezed through. He was actually hanging halfway off the top, moving across my horizontal light switches which are maybe 4" away from the top horizontally and level with the tank. The switches themselves protrude from the wall about an inch, so I calmly reached over and picked him up. The part that worries me is that he was right next to his lamp, but I'm not sure if he was touching it -- I picked him up as soon as I saw him. If he was, I'm sure he was burned by the lamp's aluminum dome. I don't see any red marks. Do they take a day or two to appear, or will it happen as he burns? I don't smell anything weird, which is good in a morbid way. I have only two screen slips, and the screen for the 40G breeder is folding. Should I use tape on the outside to hold the screen down?

I ordered a 421D about a week and a half ago... It's clear that it needs to get here quick!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Master Escape Artist!

A burn will appear just like it will on you and me. Sounds like you got really lucky this time.

Thanks
    Can you put something heavy on top of his enclosure? We have to put two 10lbs flat dumbbell weights on the top of our 8yr old normal's tank cuz he loves escaping and adventuring

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oes888 View Post
    Can you put something heavy on top of his enclosure? We have to put two 10lbs flat dumbbell weights on the top of our 8yr old normal's tank cuz he loves escaping and adventuring
    when I had snakes in screen top tanks, the snake cages got more use out of the dumbells than I did!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oes888 View Post
    I put a few Civil War textbooks that I should be reading on top of it. Looks like procrastination wins this time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Very lucky! Hopefully the weight of the Civil War will keep him in place.

I had a small crack in one of my tubs and I didn't think anything of it. At 3 am my roommate who lived in the basement a full floor below the snake room calls me in a fury that one of my snakes in his room. To which I said "Impossible, it has to be a wild snake. I'll come get it and put it outside.". I went down there and low and behold it was my male piebald. I don't know how he got all the way into that basement room in such short order. I had cleaned the tubs that evening and he was there. If he didn't use the duct work (which I doubt he did since then he would have ended up most likely in the furnace) that means he went out of the room, down the hall, through the living room, through the kitchen, down the basement steps, across the basement, and under the door into the room in the basement.

I was *so* grateful to get him back!!
    Last edited by piedlover79; 09-29-2015 at 09:47 PM.