Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

4 members and 3,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Humidifier for snake room

So I've done some searches and have not found the answer I was looking for, so my question is, is anyone using humidifiers for their snake rooms?

I have a temp controlled snake room, the temps hover between 80-82 F. The only issue is humidity, it's hovering around 3O% in the room. The snakes are in tubs and I'm able to keep them around 50%, which is fine, but I'm getting a BRB this weekend, so I was hoping to boost the over all humidity in the room, so it's easier for me to keep the humidity in the BRBs tub up. I plan on using moss and moss hides as well as a big water dish, but I'd like the overall in the room to be a bit higher.

So again my question, what, if any, humidifiers are you guys using? I think there are two types, cold mist or warm, I'm wondering if anyone has experience using either style or if anyone has a specific brand or model they like. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    You are better off keeping the humidity in the BRB's tub high by reducing ventilation holes, offering a humid hide, putting several shallow, wide water bowls in the tub, and using substrates such as cypress, coco husk, and eco earth in that tub than you are raising humidity in the room.

BTDT, had to do mold remediation to fix it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

DerekD (09-25-2015)

Thanks
    I don't use racks, so I rely on my enclosures to maintain the humidity, that being said my post may not be much help, my only thought is if you are going to keep the entire room humid make sure the walls are painted with the gloss paint meant for bathrooms that can take the constant humidity, my primer walls in my garage didn't handle 60% too well, one of my walls actually started to bulge and I am in the middle of ripping out about 10ft of drywall hoping to not find massive amounts of mold, which has put finishing the conversion into a reptile room on hold...
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 09-25-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

cristacake (09-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Living in the AZ desert myself, I feel your pain. Here's the humidifier I run in my snake room (hooked up to a Spyder Robotics hygrometer): http://www.laskoproducts.com/9-0-gal...er-model-1128/.

I've been running it for the past several years without issue (always keeping up on preventative maintenance and using DI water to avoid mineral build-up). If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards,
    Eric
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-26-2015),DerekD (09-25-2015),GoingPostal (09-25-2015),Tsanford (09-25-2015)

Thanks

Re: Humidifier for snake room

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Living in the AZ desert myself, I feel your pain. Here's the humidifier I run in my snake room (hooked up to a Spyder Robotics hygrometer): http://www.laskoproducts.com/9-0-gal...er-model-1128/.

I've been running it for the past several years without issue (always keeping up on preventative maintenance and using DI water to avoid mineral build-up). If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards,
    Eric
    I use same brand, just a smaller model. Except I bought a 1/4" OD mini float valve and installed it directly in the reservoir. No more filling it twice daily! It's hooked up to an R/O filter for clean water only.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tsanford For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (09-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsanford View Post
    I use same brand, just a smaller model. Except I bought a 1/4" OD mini float valve and installed it directly in the reservoir. No more filling it twice daily! It's hooked up to an R/O filter for clean water only.
    Oooooh - fancy! Gotta admit, it's something that's crossed my mind more than a few times too. Just need to put it into action one of these days.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    http://www.holmesproducts.com/humidi...CM3888C-U.html

I purchased this humidifier last winter. I think it's definitely overkill, but without it, humidity in the room will easily fall below 20% during the winter months.

I would actually not recommend anyone purchase this unit, (I purchased it out of desperation and it was something that I could just go buy at walmart) It does a great job while the filters are in good shape, I easily humidify the room to 50% at 82 degrees.

Problem is, the filters only last about four weeks even when I use the water treatment liquid that they sell. And at around 30 dollars, they are very expensive
    to replace that often.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tbowman For This Useful Post:

DerekD (09-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'll try with out it for the weekend, my new roommate has a small one I could run if need be. I would have no issues if I was just keeping balls, I can maintain 50% with very little issue, but I just want to make sure I can obtain the optimal levels for the baby BRB I've always wanted one since I was a kid, but never felt like I could give it the best care so I've waited a long time. Now that I've finally bought my own place and made my reptile room I want to finally get a BRB and I have an opportunity to this weekend so hopefully everything works out! Thanks again everyone!

Thanks
    If you are maintaining 50% in the room then you'll have no problem. My tubs stayed consistently in the mid 70% range when I measured them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbowman View Post
    If you are maintaining 50% in the room then you'll have no problem. My tubs stayed consistently in the mid 70% range when I measured them.
    Sorry I meant I can keep the tubs with the balls at 50% no problem. The room is around 30%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast