Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,593

2 members and 3,591 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Registered User Paragonimus westerma's Avatar
    Thanks

Odd shedding behavior.

So a quick update on my little SSTP "Poutine" from TBC that I made a thread about several months ago.

I'm happy to say that his behavior and temperament has improved dramatically since I wrote that post, and I've finally gotten him to regularly accept F/T weaned and small rats.

Earlier this week he had something close to a perfect shed; all came off in two big pieces. However, leading up to that shed was... a bit weird.

When my anery sand boa is going to shed, he turns silvery colored... and then he sheds.
    When my rubber boas shed, they get really dark... and then they shed.

With Poutine, about a week before he shed his eyes blued over. That's normal.... but then a few days later his eyes completely cleared up and stayed like that for several more days.

...okay...? I started to suspect that I completely misinterpreted what I saw earlier, and he wasn't shedding at all. So I fed him a rat. He swallowed the whole thing butt-first, slithered away, and all seemed normal. And then a few hours later he was in his water bowl sloughing off his entire shed.

Is this considered normal for this species? This isn't the first time that a shed has come unexpectedly when it looked like he wasn't blued over, but its the first time I felt like making a thread about it. Maybe him stretching his mouth open to swallow the rat loosened everything up to start shedding? Don't snakes normally refuse food while shedding? Temps and humidity are all normal.
    Last edited by Paragonimus westerma; 09-23-2015 at 10:30 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes, totally normal for bloods and short tails.