Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

2 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

F/T rats and how to thaw?

I feed about half of my collection F/T and I have never really had an issue. I have always thawed rats by putting them in a sandwich baggy and then placing them in a bowl of hot water. I used to buy from one supplier but the rats would always explode no matter what. It was gross. So I decided to switch to someone different and had much better results. The rats stopped exploding, for the most part. I would have one here or there but never like the first supplier. That was really bad. The issue I am having now is (after a year with my new supplier) the rats are again exploding. Only small to mediums are. Pup rats are fine... they stay in tact. Am I thawing them out wrong? Is there a better way of doing this or is there something wrong with my rats?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    It could be from leaving them in the water too long, or the water is too hot. Every once and awhile one may pop but it should not be a regular thing.

A rat/mouse has a living body temp just over 100F. I thaw my rats in warm tap water for about 45-60 mins. These are S, M, XXL. After they are all thawed I refresh the water with water just over 100F to get them into the correct range.

I used to use freezer bags and try to keep the rats dry but the bags almost always leak so now they go straight into the water. I put all the feeder in small plastic tub and thaw them in it in the bathtub. Then when I refresh the water I carry the entire tub into the snake room so they stay warmer longer. I then offer them without drying them at all. Stuck substrate has never been an issue.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: F/T rats and how to thaw?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    It could be from leaving them in the water too long, or the water is too hot. Every once and awhile one may pop but it should not be a regular thing.

A rat/mouse has a living body temp just over 100F. I thaw my rats in warm tap water for about 45-60 mins. These are S, M, XXL. After they are all thawed I refresh the water with water just over 100F to get them into the correct range.

I used to use freezer bags and try to keep the rats dry but the bags almost always leak so now they go straight into the water. I put all the feeder in small plastic tub and thaw them in it in the bathtub. Then when I refresh the water I carry the entire tub into the snake room so they stay warmer longer. I then offer them without drying them at all. Stuck substrate has never been an issue.
    Yes, but every time the rats get wet I always have the issue of the tails falling off or having them explode. I guessed it was because the tissue got too soft so I do my best at keeping them dry. And I usually only thaw them till they are fully thawed and warm to the touch. Usually takes about 45 minutes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    It may be that they are not good. Maybe they thawed during shipping and weren't frozen enough to ship or etc. I once got a bag of small rats that had a good amount of issues like you are having. I fed them off and have not had another bag like that since. Maybe try that source one more time but if it continues I would switch.

I have had tails pulled off by ferocious snakes but never just from thawing them out.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull