Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

1 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help identifying?? Was told a bumble bee but thinking a kind of spider?

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Yes, morphs can be very tricky, especially when you have no background information on them. I still am clueless as to what my supposedly pastel is! As far as finding a professional, I would ask multiple ball python breeders, or go to a reptile expo and ask around what people think she is. Everyone sees a snake a little differently, so it's best to get multiple opinions. Were you planning on breeding her? If not, I wouldn't worry too much on figuring out her morph. It can prove to be almost impossible in some cases. If you do plan on breeding, then you can figure out what she is depending on the babies she produces. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm hoping to find an expo!

I would like to breed her but I don't have to. I have a lesser cinnamon male that I think is gorgeous but I'm biased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    lesser is a morph, short for lesser platinum.
    Good grief. Okay thank you! Guess I'll be looking into that too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boots01 View Post
    I think that makes sense! I'll just need to read it like 70 times then read about 300 more articles on it lol genetics aren't my strong point.....

What does lesser mean? The male is SuppoSedly a cinnamon lesser.

the best way i started learning genetics was watching youtube videos of people explaining genetics and there categories like Dominant, Co-Dominant & Recessive also the snakebytestv by Brian Barcyzk from BHB helps break it down has episodes of all things snake. and several on genetics made simple. https://youtu.be/9m3dUUSCnCQ here is one to help you get started if you want to learn more about genetics. 1 of many i've watched and many articles i read and the help of users here on BP.net
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 Sugar Spider
    1.1 Normal
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Bumble Bee
    0.1 Super Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Yellow Belly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by somdballs View Post
    the best way i started learning genetics was watching youtube videos of people explaining genetics and there categories like Dominant, Co-Dominant & Recessive also the snakebytestv by Brian Barcyzk from BHB helps break it down has episodes of all things snake. and several on genetics made simple. https://youtu.be/9m3dUUSCnCQ here is one to help you get started if you want to learn more about genetics. 1 of many i've watched and many articles i read and the help of users here on BP.net
    Thank you very much!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Yes, so your Lesser Cinnamon is a snake that is both a lesser and a cinnamon in the same snake.

If you've seen a albino piebald, then you see a snake that is both albino and a piebald. So it's orange/white AND has the white patches.

The neat thing is that Spider, Lesser and Cinnamon are ALL dominant traits, so if you did breed them together, the babies can come out with spider, lesser and/or cinnamon traits. The ghost trait is recessive, so even if it IS a ghost spider, none of the babies will show any sign that it is a ghost carrier. Both parents would have to have the ghost trait in order for a baby to "inherit" it and show it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Yes, so your Lesser Cinnamon is a snake that is both a lesser and a cinnamon in the same snake.

If you've seen a albino piebald, then you see a snake that is both albino and a piebald. So it's orange/white AND has the white patches.

The neat thing is that Spider, Lesser and Cinnamon are ALL dominant traits, so if you did breed them together, the babies can come out with spider, lesser and/or cinnamon traits. The ghost trait is recessive, so even if it IS a ghost spider, none of the babies will show any sign that it is a ghost carrier. Both parents would have to have the ghost trait in order for a baby to "inherit" it and show it.
    I think I'm starting to get it. Thank you!!! So the two names means they have two different things. So I have to breed her to a ghost to see if she's a ghost or just a spider. Another reason to buy another snake eventually suggestions on that type?

That could be a cool batch! We'll find out next year probably cause I'm not ready and she's not either

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Because there's different family lines of the ghost gene, it would be best to find out which one before figuring to breed her. It would be nice if the person you got her from could verify her genetics.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Because there's different family lines of the ghost gene, it would be best to find out which one before figuring to breed her. It would be nice if the person you got her from could verify her genetics.
    I can't track them down:/ my friend got her from repticon. I was hoping she'd remember but she's useless. She still thinks she's a bumble bee

Thanks
    Everyone talks about breeding when they get their first ball. I'd just focus on showing this one attention and providing great care before trying to balance out adding another to the mix and caring for hatchlings. A lot can go wrong with egg binding and during the incubation period. There is a lot to think about before bring new life into the world, especially if you lose interest rather quickly. It's a new snake, it's fun, and exciting. Make sure it stays that way and maintains proper health.

Keep your temps and humidity right, and maintain a good feeding schedule. Like I said, a lot can go wrong rather quickly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Everyone talks about breeding when they get their first ball. I'd just focus on showing this one attention and providing great care before trying to balance out adding another to the mix and caring for hatchlings. A lot can go wrong with egg binding and during the incubation period. There is a lot to think about before bring new life into the world, especially if you lose interest rather quickly. It's a new snake, it's fun, and exciting. Make sure it stays that way and maintains proper health.

Keep your temps and humidity right, and maintain a good feeding schedule. Like I said, a lot can go wrong rather quickly
    That's why I won't do it for over a year if I do it. I know I'll want more but I might want to cruise craigslist for ones that need homes vs breeding or spending allot on them (even though theres already a few patterns I really want

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast