Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

0 members and 3,246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I feel like such an idiot. I took the heating pad for granted and assumed everything would be fine. It's been running since August with no problems until last night. How stupid of me to not run it with a thermostat of some kind.

It was 6am, I was heading to bed after a late night of my usual online stuff. I had my glass of water, my radio on, everything. I was just about to lay down when I looked into Pelota's cage and seen the temperatures were at 124 warm side and 97 cool side. I started frantically yanking the bricks off of the top of the cage and removed some stuff to get Pelota out and check on her. Luckily she was still alive and not fried or anything. I placed her in her water to drop her core temperature down. She felt very warm and soft. Not as tense as she usually is when I pick her up. After that, I let her sit in her water bowl for a while as I turned off the heat pad and put a fan facing the cage bottom to cool the temperatures down. It took about 20 minutes to get the temperatures down to room temperature. Then I put everything back, and placed the heat pad on low(it was on medium for the winter weather change) and kept an eye on things. I didn't get much sleep. Kept bobbing my head up to see the temp in the cage. Now the temperatures on the warm side only get to 85 with the heat pad on low. I think the heat pad is just on its dying days. Doesn't matter..I'm planning on getting a new one when I get a rubbermaid cage for Pelota this month.

Now tonight, I had Pelota out for a bit to see how she is, and she seems to be her usual self. The only difference is she doesn't coil tightly around my wrist like she would usually do. Other than that she seems fine. If you were in my place, with no spare money to get a thermostat, or bring her in for a vet visit, what would you do? Should I just keep a close close eye on things for a while, and get that thermostat as soon as I can? Are there any signs of health problems I should look out for? I feel so bad that I let the heat pad get to such temperatures. I could kick myself for not trying to get a thermostat sooner. :cry:
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    you can get a dimmer,or an Alife Temperature Controller for 30 dollars.Check beanfarm.com.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks
    you may find it just as good to keep the pad on low and watch them for a while. ive hat temps up to 105, but never that high. good catch man.
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Interesting Questions I'm asked at Work

Quote Originally Posted by bpkid
    you can get a dimmer,or an Alife Temperature Controller for 30 dollars.Check beanfarm.com.
    A dimmer wouldn't help much. Even if I had a dimmer on when it happened, it wouldn't have stopped it from the temps skyrocketing like that. I need a thermostat. And no use finding any online. I don't have a credit card.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    Quote Originally Posted by bpkid
    A dimmer wouldn't help much. Even if I had a dimmer on when it happened, it wouldn't have stopped it from the temps skyrocketing like that. I need a thermostat. And no use finding any online. I don't have a credit card.
    I hate to say it, but a thermostat is a CRITICAL piece of equipment for keeping ball pythons! .... Try giving the beanfarm a call, they might take a money order or check as payment. Or how about Matt aka "justcage"? I'm sure he'd be willing to work something out for a fellow forum member??? Matt? are you out there?

"justcage" sells thermostats. You might try pm'ing him to see if he can help.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Yeah, I know thermostats are critical. I know I'm an idiot. But like I said, I guess I took the heat pad for granted. It had been heating the cage to perfect temps for months now. I didn't expect it to suddenly malfunction like that. I'm running it on low and keeping a close eye on things until I can find some money for a thermostat. It's definitely my number 1 priority now.

Thanks

YAY!

Cody, I am really sorry. I hope everything turns out ok, but don't beat yourself up too bad over this, learn from it.

Keep this in mind, human heat pads are not designed to be used 24/7. Using them long term is just begging for a problem. If you talk to Matt about a thermostat, also talk to him about a section of Flexwatt. If I am not mistaken he usually sells a 11" by 12" section already wired up for $8. That is even cheaper than a human heat pad, and you are getting something that was designed to be on 24/7.

Seriously Cody, get rid of that heat pad. They are fine for temporary use, but never depend on one long term.
    In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test.
    You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. -Shiqin

Thanks
    Hey Cody,
    I sell to people in Canada all the time.. I ship atleast 3 times a week up your way... If there is somehting you need jsut let em know and you can send a US postal money order.. I tell everyone to ditch those human heating pads... To thick and bulky and develop hot spots when compressed... My email is matt@mgreptiles.com... Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justcage
    Hey Cody,
    you can send a US postal money order.
    Can you get one of those in Canada?

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Yuppers, I have had them sent to me before. I dont know exactly how they do it but they do do it..
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast