Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,401

3 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User Mojave_the_python's Avatar
    Thanks

Shedding? Or dry scales?

I've had my BP for about 4 months now, bought from a reliable breeder and all. And about last week I noticed some flakey scales on the top of his head. Humidity in the tank is 40% to 50%, I have a humid hide in there for him, and I keep his waterbowl full. He does have some symptoms that I've heard for shedding, but he's also lacking some as well. He does have a pinkish belly, and a blue tinge to his scales. But his eyes are clear and he's still eating. He has also has kept with his schedule of coming out at about 11pm every night for a couple minutes. If someone could tell me whats up I'd be very grateful, I just don't want to cause him any harm. ( he's about a year old, and I was told by the breeder that all his sheds were 1 piece, yet he hasn't shed since the time I got him )

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Shedding? Or dry scales?

Hi,

We really need a good picture to be able to tell you.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Alright, I will try, he's a little squirmy still so I might have to take it later at night when he's more relaxed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It can take a week or more for the shedding process to be completed. The pink belly may come a few days before the eyes turn, and the color of the snake dulls considerably as the scales dry out.

Increase humidity to around 70 and wait it out for now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pamela and GINGER, my wonderful BP

1 dog, 3 cats, 1 macaw, 1 husband, 1 daughter, and GINGER

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

When in doubt I always refer to the BP Bible:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...s%29-Caresheet

This is a pretty useful passage (Humidity 0:2):

"And he said to the concerned owner, 60%-70% (humidity) during a shed cycle."

And you just can't effect that without reading this (Humidity 3:1-2):

"Methods to raise humidity in the enclosure include but are certainly not limited to misting, placing the water bowl directly about the heat source on the warm end, or covering screen lids with Con-Tac paper or plastic wrap, or using a humidifier. Do NOT sacrifice ventilation or otherwise contribute to stagnant air conditions. You can also add a humid hide, giving your python a humidity rich spot it can hang out in whenever it wants."

If your herp is approaching a shed, signified by the symptoms you've detailed, it's likely that the issue you're worrying about will discontinue following the shed; but hey, this forum isn't going anywhere. Therefore, if it continues, you could come back. I believe your only issue is humidity. You should be maintaining 50% to 60% humidity even when your herp is not in its shed cycle. Its sheds will be ideal when you maintain a humidity level around 70% during the shed cycle. I know firsthand that keeping good humidity is difficult; I couldn't even keep 45% when I first got my BP. Search the forums and read how others are maintaining their humidity and if you still can't reach a desired or ideal level, look into a MistKing or other automatic misting system. Make sure to read the reviews and do in-depth research before you purchase any misting system. The last thing you want is to come home and find your little friend swimming in a boggy tank.
    Last edited by Vanthios; 09-18-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks

Thank you very much, I'm new to this whole humidity thing, all my pets I've had prior to now haven't needed a specific humidity, so I guess I need practice.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pamela and GINGER, my wonderful BP

1 dog, 3 cats, 1 macaw, 1 husband, 1 daughter, and GINGER

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk