Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

1 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Registered User chocolatepudding's Avatar
    Thanks

New enclosure tips pleasee!!!!!

So until yesterday, I had a tub that I kept my bp. I moved him into a 20 gallon tank and so far the temperatures have been completely perfect. One thing that I have noticed though is that the humidity has dropped quite a bit, before in the tub it was a bit too high and now I have been misting the tank to keep up some of the humidity.
    Are there any tips on how to get my snake more adjusted and get the husbandry perfect?? I'd really appreciate itt!!!
    Heres a pic of my new set up http://imgur.com/dwy7iMN

Thanks
    I couldn't get the link to work, just an FYI. As for your question it's a lot of trial and error. When I was housing a couple of my BP's in a divided 75 gallon tank humidity was always the biggest problem. I would suggest trying things like partially covering the top to keep the moisture in, some do this with aluminum foil, other with a damp towel. I had plexiglas on the top of mine that covered about 85% of the opening. Also since I can't see your picture and you don't mention heat source it's hard to make other corrections/suggestions. If you are using a heat lamp then covering up the top is a must as the heat lamp works like a dehumidifier pulling all the moisture out of the tank. A UTH set up is better just make sure it's is regulated so you don't burn your animal. Misting is a good approach but trying different substrates will also help. I found Aspen too dry and cypress too wet so I started mixing the two together, about 3 handfuls of cypress and 1 of the aspen worked perfectly for me but others in drier climates may find 100% cypress perfect or vice versa.
    Good Luck and just keep at it.
    Cheers, Jeff

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C2tcardin For This Useful Post:

chocolatepudding (09-17-2015),nightwolfsnow (09-17-2015)

Registered User chocolatepudding's Avatar
    Thanks
    Heres a different link, sorry about the other one.
    He is on a regulated UTH, but with my new tank my thermometer is saying the hotspot is only at 88 degrees while my thermostat is at 95...? I'm a bit worried because I dont want to burn my snake..
    http://imgur.com/gallery/62BlsEs

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: New enclosure tips pleasee!!!!!

Well, sometimes you have to continue to tweak your husbandry to get the numbers at the correct setting. I would get a Accurite brand thermometer/hygrometer with a probe from home depot or kmart. They are a more precise indicator and measuring tool for temperature and humidity. Reptile Basics has a nice one made by Vivarium Electronics. Thermostats depending on the brand can have + or - degree differences from set temperature to what is actually the temp in the tank or tub. Don't be alarmed at that. However, you have to stay on top of it.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-17-2015 at 12:10 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i just wanna say that i like your forum name. chocolatepudding. lol
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here is a useful thread about humidity in tanks: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...63#post2129963