Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

2 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky8926
    I have never seen or heard of batterys exploding unless they are heated to extreme temps and by extreme I mean 150 plus degrees.
    So just because you haven't seen it or heard of it means it will not happen? I'm sorry, but I can't accept that.

And are you still contending that it could take 10+ minutes to get an accurate digital thermometer reading? I apologize again for disagreeing with you, but I can prove that to be not quite right either.

And as far as the lid being off, it doesn't have to be while you are washing and drying the water bowl and hide boxes right? That's when I would choose to measure the temps.

Monitoring temps can be done accurately without leaving the thermometer in the cage 24x7. I'm not saying that it's "better" or "the only way", just the way that I prefer because I feel that it's best for my snakes.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    So just because you haven't seen it or heard of it means it will not happen? I'm sorry, but I can't accept that.
    wow, did I just hear you say that?

I think that the chances of a battery exploding are so miniscule that it really isnt somthing to worry about.
    (wow, did I just say that?)
    1.0 Green tree python

my temps are at 90/79. they'll go down at night when i shut off the basking light, but does that seem sufficient? if it is then i'll take out the thermometer, i just wanted to watch it 24/7 while i'm adjusting it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green_man
    wow, did I just hear you say that?

I think that the chances of a battery exploding are so miniscule that it really isnt somthing to worry about.
    (wow, did I just say that?)
    AHHHH ... somone fell for it!!!! GOOD! ... That's why you have to take precautions to make sure that it doesn't happen.

If you read the thread you'll see that I advocated monitoring the thermometer while in enclosure, and not just leaving it there waiting for tragedy to happen.

Sure, I believe that a battery could explode, but I think it is far less likely to explode and do damage while being watched for just as long as it needs to be in an enclosure than it would be if just left in there constantly. With proper measures it can be safe.(sounds familair right? :lol

I don't feel that leaving electronics in a cage with your snake for weeks at end is at all safe, just like i don't feel that leaving a live (deleted for the sake of one day of peace) in a cage with your snake for weeks at end is at all safe. :lol:

A couple of my favorite sayings are: "There are two sides to every coin" & "Question everything!"

-adam

(two other thought on your response green_man - 1. i could get awfully defensive about you throwing that back at me if I wans't such a laid back kinda guy. 2. Nice try ... LOL)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks
    lol, nice try? what was I trying to do?
    It was a simple observation.

Adam said:
    My point is that if someone personally has never had a snake INJURED by being fed a live rodent how can they tell other people that they shouldn't feed live because their snakes could get hurt or because there is risk? Because someone told them it is true?

you said it nicely when you said there are two sides to every coin.
    I am simply stating that the chances are miniscule that a battery will blow up. Just like you said there are thousands of safe live feedings without injury, I am saying there are millions of batteries used without blowing up. I mentioned the above observation in attempt to show that yes, there are two sides to every coin.
    I did not mean to offend
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    No offense, I'm just trying to watch my step ... I'm REALLY TRYING to stay out of trouble and I had a feeling that after reading my posts here, someone would bring up "the other thread that shouldn't be mentioned".

Sounds like we're kinda on the same page about perceived vs. actual risk being two very different things sometimes? That's pretty cool!

-adam

Thanks
    :police: :
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    lol
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    I'm not saying that it couldn't happen but like greenman said the chances are very slim. In my short 26 years i've been alive and all the thousands of electronic items I have owned I have NEVER had a battery blow up in any of them.
    -Troy

1.0.0 Ball Python-Chief
    0.1.0 Girlfriend-Erin

it's cool when car batteries blow up! louder than a gunshot! that's the only kind of battery that i've seen blow up though. "the other thread that shouldn't be mentioned"? i'm confused adam, quick explanation?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast