Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

4 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iguana Opinion

Thanks

Exclamation Iguana Opinion

So my mom knows this lady that has a 15 year old iguana and shes giving it away for free do you think its a good idea to get him i mean hes pretty chill what do you guys think. He comes with everything.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

Re: Iguana Opinion

Igs can be finicky. They need lots of space, but you still need to maintain high humidity, provide UV for basking and the correct temps for thermal regulation. They plow through fresh greens and veggies every day, and they poop like Saint Bernards. They're big, some of them will always have an attitude, and their claws, tails and teeth can do enough damage to land you in an emergency room.

That said, they're intelligent, come with stand out personalities, get attached to and form bonds with their handlers, and are a really engaging animal to keep. If you're up for the challenge, go for it. Since it's a rescue, absolutely make sure you have a god herp vet on hand and get the baby checked out. also do a thorough inspection of all the equipment. I can not even count the amount of times I've seen people trying to give away reptiles "with all the equipment" when the equipment amounted to too small caging, some branches, and a heat rock.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 09-11-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Igs can be finicky. They need lots of space, but you still need to maintain high humidity, provide UV for basking and the correct temps for thermal regulation. They plow through fresh greens and veggies every day, and they poop like Saint Bernards. They're big, some of them will always have an attitude, and their claws, tails and teeth can do enough damage to land you in an emergency room.

That said, they're intelligent, come with stand out personalities, get attached to and form bonds with their handlers, and are a really engaging animal to keep. If you're up for the challenge, go for it. Since it's a rescue, absolutely make sure you have a god herp vet on hand and get the baby checked out. also do a thorough inspection of all the equipment. I can not even count the amount of times I've seen people trying to give away reptiles "with all the equipment" when the equipment amounted to too small caging, some branches, and a heat rock.
    All of this and more!

Iggys are a huge commitment and really need a very large (and proper) space to thrive. If this one has been kept in something too small and otherwise improper, its "chill" attitude could be from literally being too cold, malnourished, sick, or other physical or mental ailments. It's quite possible that if put into a good home with the right lights, space, climbing limbs, heat, and food...he could "wake up" and display an entirely different (and likely highly unsocial) personality.

Maybe it's all good...maybe the lady giving him away knew how to care for it and socialized it properly. But either way, it would behoove you to do a lot of research and think very hard about the commitment you'd be taking on.
    -- Judy

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes iguanas can be chilled but no matter how chilled they are during mating season it's an all other ball game.

Those are not beginner lizards (this comes from someone who used to do iguana rescue and who owned a pretty chilled rescue iguana )

They are the number 1 disposable reptiles you buy them cheap thinking they are cute and will be puppy tame and than realize that the reality of it is somewhat different. Iguanas are such a problem, most rescues refuse to take them (and this is nothing new)

Coming with everything based on my experience means very little, many people do not provide the proper husbandry that those animals need.

Do it comes with a 6 x 4 x 6 enclosure or bigger? If not this will be one of your first cost, an adequate enclosure.

Does it comes with proper UV light and basking lights?

Do you have the time and resources to dedicate to such animal.

Remember because something is cheap or free does not mean it's something you should get into, do your research, iguana ownership can be very rewarding but not everyone is meant to be an iguana owner.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (09-12-2015)

Thanks

Those are not beginner lizards (this comes from someone who used to do iguana rescue and who owned a pretty chilled rescue iguana )
    You know what's hilarious is that an ig actually was my first herp lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    You know what's hilarious is that an ig actually was my first herp lol.
    The vast majority of iguanas are sold to folks who have no business owning one - eg, children and inexperienced keepers.

Thanks
    She took him in from her neighbor that didn't want him anymore and her husband used to be in the hobby. And he's pretty old he's about 15 years old

Thanks
    He has the right caging and lighting. I have a few pictures if you guys want to see

Thanks

Sure, post some pics!

Thanks
    his cage is a 6 foot tall 6 foot wide and 3 feet deep. He had a bit of a lip problem when he was younger. keep in mind hes about 15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast