Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,702

3 members and 2,699 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

New BP owner, just got my snake - a couple questions

Hi guys. I just received my first BP/first snake yesterday. I've read everywhere that you aren't supposed to handle or bother a new snake at all for a week. So, am I not supposed to clean the enclosure during this time? Or is it safe to move the snake to a holding area while I switch out the substrate (paper towels) and water dish in there if he makes a mess? I definitely don't want to stress him out any more at all.

Also, how soon should I attempt to feed him? I was going to wait a week but I caught him relaxing inside his warm hide today with his head poking out of it. He retreated back inside after he noticed me however. Does this mean he's already getting comfortable and looking for food? Would this Sunday be too soon to try? He's looking a little thin, I think he already missed one feeding this week from being shipped, so I would like to get a meal in him.

Thanks

Thanks
    You still handle them in order to clean the tank and such. I put mine in a tupperware container with ventilation holes and put a rock on top of the lid. Its also recommended to do minimal handling until they eat three meals for you. Their willingness to eat is a better measure of how secure they feel than time. I think I waited around 10 or 12 days before I fed my first bp after shipping, and three days after picking up my second. Poking their head out is a good sign that they're hunting, but since you got him he could just be looking around. I would wait at least a week, but if a few sooner than that and he's not showing any signs of being stressed you could try it if you really want to. Congrats on your first snake.
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Champagne (Orochimaru)
    0.1 Mojave Bumble Bee (Gwnyvere)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Coral Glow (Jiraiya)
    0.1 Hypo (Kisame)
    0.1 Enchi Leopard 66% Het Pied (Matatabi)
    0.1 Black Head Red Gene (Kushina)
    0.1 GHI Mojave (Tsume)
    0.1 Piebald (Tsunade)
    0.1 Super Stripe (Temari)
    0.1 Albino Spinner (Kurenai)
    0.1 Vanilla Calibee (Ino)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,785 Posts
    If he's engaging in "hunting" behavior then go ahead and offer a feeder. I've had some eat the same day they arrived.

Otherwise keep handling to a minimum until he settles in. Obviously you can clean the enclosure, mist it, and change water as needed, just don't have your new little pet out for marathon handling sessions.