Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,116

4 members and 2,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Mama BP won't touch her eggs! Help!

Hey all--I'm new here and I've searched in several areas, to include the entire internet (well, almost) regarding this problem, so I am reaching out for help.

I have an adult female ball python that I've had for a year. I have never let her near any other snakes, let alone tried to mate her. So you can imagine my surprise when I walked into the animal room Monday and found 8 (!) EGGS in her tank!!

I candled them all and am certain I have at least one fertile egg (very veiny). My problem is that I tried to let her incubate the eggs for the first 2 days, and she hasn't touched them. I even grouped them all together under her favorite basking lamp, and still nothing. So I put a heating pad under them and set it on low so they would be getting some warmth. She isn't heating up and transferring her heat to the eggs, she appears completely apathetic towards them. ???

So I went ahead and purchased an incubator, in which they are sitting at approximately 88-89 degrees farenheit with 70% or higher humidity, and already the larger eggs are starting to dimple. I also noticed some gnats in the incubator yesterday.

I read somewhere that candling works best with BP eggs if they're given a few days to incubate, so I'm not sure if I should try again, as some eggs are large and white, and others are smaller and yellow.

I'm thrilled and terrified, is there any reason she may be completely uninterested in her babies?

Thanks so much in advance, everyone!!

Thanks

Sorry, just realized this should be in the BP breeding forum

Can someone please move my post or delete it so I can post it in the right spot? Thanks so much!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Post is fine.

White and plump eggs are a good thing, small and yellow are usually slugs.
    Photos would be great

Thanks

Re: Mama BP won't touch her eggs! Help!

The power of Christ impregnated her

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ReptiMoto For This Useful Post:

chrisv (09-15-2015),Megg (09-14-2015),O'Mathghamhna (09-13-2015),se7en (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    either she was with a male before you got her and she retained sperm or it is a partho clutch; which is not very common but I have heard of a lot more of them in the last couple years. She does not have to wrap the eggs to have them hatch out, set them up on some damp Sphagnum moss and cover them with a small tub over a heat pad fill in the outside of the tub about half way up with cypress mulch to insulate mist around them to keep humidity up. Probe the inside of the tub and keep the temps and humidity up and you basically have a small incubator. You can also cut a small hole in the side of the tub for mom to go in and out if you want. they will dry out if you keep them under the heat lamp if they haven't already. You can always buy a small incubator too.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not being interested in her eggs can be due to various things, first timer (not having a clue), females that knows the eggs are bad, and sometimes for no reason at all, a few years ago I had a female on a loan (proven female) she laid her clutch and migrated as far away from the eggs as possible (all viable and 100% hatch rate)

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    If she doesn't want to incubate them, she just won't. So removing them to incubate them yourself was a good move. I hope that some eggs are viable for you. If no veins develop, you can discard those eggs. Good luck.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Also make sure not to turn the eggs over accidentally lol! The embryo adheres to the top and will drown if turned, much different from bird eggs that drown when not turned enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Ok, I took a photo of the eggs and I'll post it when I can figure out how

Thanks so much for you guys' help and advice, I feel so welcome!

So today's problem is there are maggots ON the eggs. :/ The smaller ones are hard and don't have maggots, but the larger ones, to include the two that I'm positive are fertile, have maggots on the outside. They appear to not have permeated the inside of the egg.

I was thinking maybe wiping the eggs with a clorhexadine solution and putting Vermaticulite in the incubator? I candled the eggs without moving them and two of them now have veins and an embryo with an eyeball that I can see. I really don't want to just toss them.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast