Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

4 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    I was thinking of feeding roxy outside of her feeding tank, maybe have a nice backround or some nice blanket or sheet on the ground. I wanted to get a couple nice shots of her eating but i dont want to stress her by making her eat in a totally differnt place.

I was hoping to enter one in the up coming contest, or maybe even the next one, i wanna make sure i have an awesome picture of her before i submit anything.

Thanks, Brandon.
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks

2 cent tip... okay $1.50

I saw pictures of somene feeding them on a computer table. But I think that was just for that one pictures.

I have heard of feeding them on bean bag chairs...
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    You might want to be very careful. I've rescued and treated several ball pythons that have had sheets or towels stuck half way down their throats. These were from feeding accidents where the owner decided to feed on a sheet or a towel and the ball python got some caught in it's mouth as it was swallowing it's prey and began swallowing the sheet/towel right along with it. The size of the sheet/towel makes it quite impossible to swallow and can turn into a huge problem. There's a chance that the snake will just push it back out, but I've also seen first hand where it has to be removed.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    I always feed outside their enclosure, but never in an open area. I have a large Sterilite container that I use for all of my feedings. http://www.sterilite.com/ProductDeta...ection=Storage

The only time they are ever put in there is feeding time. And they know immediately that it is feeding time. I have a small routine that they associate with feedings. This routine may sound crazy, but other than one of my snakes I have never had a snake go off feed. Anyway, I knock 3 times on their enclosure and then use my snake hook to get them out and put them in the feeding tub. I only use the snake hook on them when feeding. They know the knock+hook+tub= food.

I do this so they know the difference between feeding time and when I need in their enclosure for other reasons. Like cleaning, misting, temp/humidity checks, fresh water, health inspections and general handling and exercise. I know it sounds crazy, but I know my snakes know the difference in the routines. That and the fact that they are never fed in their enclosures I have never had a snake be aggressive towards me when I am in their enclosure. They don't associate food with their home.
    In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test.
    You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at. -Shiqin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts
    Excellent post Shrap! Ball pythons do extremely well at learning routines, and having a simple reptitive routine for feeding is an important key to having a consistent eater. While I'm not really a fan of feeding outside of the enclosure, I am a HUGE fan of developing a routine that works for you and your snake.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty