Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

1 members and 3,225 guests
myah,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Dirt packed in my BP's nostrils!

Any ideas or suggestions? My BP has dirt packed into her nostrils, and I can't get it out. I've tried everything I could think of. This is my first snake I have ever owned, and I'm not sure what to do. She came to me like this, and I bought her off Craigslist. (After reading around, I now realize how stupid this might have been of me.) Could this cause an RI? She has just today started wheezing slightly, as soon as I find an open vet I will take her there to have it treated.
    Last edited by Freak; 09-06-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks
    Your snake won't suffocate because there is dirt in the holes that are on the outside of the head. Snakes breathe through a hole that is under their tongue inside their mouth. Some air goes in and out through two small holes on the outside of their head (I believe that is how it works, correct me if I'm wrong) but is mostly to smell any scents in the air.

A vet visit ASAP is a good idea. A vet and a helper or two can help your snake get the dirt out of its heat pits (that is what most of the holes just above the top lip of the snake are) easier and with less stress to your snake. Ask the vet if de-worming is a good idea since you don't know how well cared for the snake was before you got it.

Please, experienced snake owners, let me and the OP know if this is wrong.

My BP has filled his heat pits and nostrils with coconut fiber substrate when he missed on a strike. His mouth was full too. I used the eraser of one pencil and the eraser end of another pencil to hold his mouth open and got some of it out of his mouth. He got the rest of it out on his own.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Monty's_Mom For This Useful Post:

Freak (09-07-2015)