Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

2 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Dealing with a possibly picky eater.....suggestions for the next feeding attempt?!

I am a new ball python mom. Gaia (my normal ball female) was bought a few months ago. The first day I got her she gobbled up two fuzzies, and since then has not refused a single meal. Her humidity is always %50 or slightly higher, at the advice of someone here I dropped her temperature so that it is high 80`s on the warm end and high 70`s on the cool end. I sterilize her tank twice a month. She never strikes and has no health issues that I can tell. The one shed she has had since being with me was complete.

So because she is growing, I thought moving her up to hoppers was a good idea. I looked EVERYWHERE for hoppers in the brand I usually get. Not sure why but I couldn`t find them. So I went to a local pet store and got frozen hoppers for her. 25 of them, because the store only sells in bulk. She was looking for one, I could tell she was hungry. I put the mouse in, wiggled it a bit, and she struck right away but then didn`t eat it. She almost looked offended by it, lol! It occurred to me that the mice she usually gets are white, the new ones are black. I don`t know if that makes a difference but I have been told it can. She usually has no issue eating in front of me, but I decided to go ahead and put the mouse in then cover her tank and leave her overnight. This morning the mouse was still there. I tried cutting its head open, she wouldn`t touch it. I tried defrosting it in the same water as one of her usual mice, she wouldn`t touch it. She wouldn`t even eat the fuzzies after that one. I am not going to attempt feeding her anymore this week since she just ate last week and so she will not starve or anything, but I am hoping for some more ideas on what I might be able to do to switch her over. I have 25 (okay 23 now) black mice and gosh darnit she is going to eat them! Okay well….I would like her to anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    temps of f/t is important. it's gotta be thawed completely and warm all the way through. you could try blasting it with a blow dryer to get temps up and get the smell of mice flowing around the room.

also was Gaia ever eating live? u could try a live hopper (try a dark colored one since u got them f/t) and then wean her back to f/t mice.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Dealing with a possibly picky eater.....suggestions for the next feeding attempt?

She has never eaten live, no. I was considering that though. The temp seems okay, I always check to make sure they are nice and warm.