Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,489

2 members and 3,487 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Exclamation Moisture inside hide?

Hey there! I have lurked these forums ever since I first got my BP 5 months ago, and I'll say it's an awesome source of info. However, this is my first post, so if I'm not in the right section or something please be gentle. Haha

Anyways. I've recently moved into a new house, and after getting my BP tank all set up again, I've noticed that the humidity has been significantly higher, and moisture keeps collecting on the inside of his favorite hide! Oh no!
    I changed absolutely nothing about his tank other than it's location. Before the move, the humidity stayed between 40-50. But now it fluctuates wildly between 40-70, and collects water droplets on the underside of his hide when it's at the higher end of that fluctuation. Nothing like this happened before.
    My tank setup is a glass vivarium with a screen top. It's 30" long, 10" deep, and 12" tall. He has a nice tight corner hide off to one side, above a UTH. His water bowl is on the opposite side, under a heat lamp (which I've kept off in an effort to bring the humidity down). The whole tank has about 1" of coconut bedding.

I'll post a picture of his tank if someone can tell me how. I'm not too stellar at this Forum thing haha.

Anyways, why would the humidity have changed so drastically, and why in the world is there water drops collecting on the inside of his favorite hide? I've tried taking the hide out, drying it off, letting the substrate dry out, and then replacing the hide. But then it just collects more water drops! Argh! Someone help!

Thanks
    -Aaron

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    did u move to someplace tropical where the humidity is thick? lol

has your BP tipped over it's water bowl recently? the spilled water could have seeped into the substrate and evaporated and condensed to the inside roof your the hide.

the thing is that the moisture seems consistent. where is your BP peeing? do u see signs of urates? if the moisture is consistent in that 1 spot, your BP may be peeing in there.

or i might be all wrong and others will chime in.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Moisture inside hide?

Coconut bedding tends to hold moisture pretty well. Perhaps your old house was just drier? Or warmer? Warm air can hold more water, so the relative humidity will read as lower. In any case, ball pythons come from a very humid climate. 60-70% is actually what I aim for. 40% is pretty low IMO.

The heavy condensation is kinda weird though. I don't even get condensation when my humidity is 80+. What are the temperatures in your enclosure like? Are you keeping it in a particularly cool room?
    Last edited by Snake Judy; 09-04-2015 at 07:27 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I noticed the inside of the warm hide in my PVC cage sometimes gets coated with condensed moisture. Figured it was due to (lack of) ventilation because the cage sits on the floor of a closet so there's very little air flow.