Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

2 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Is there any sense here??

Hellow every one i wanted to ask about somthing odd a bit.. i know that rex is not a gene that a rat can be "Het" for (or is it?) But i bred these two adults, a full black male to a hooded albino. Everything was normal untill i noticed one is just getting big and the fur is wierd - almost non, alot like a double rex. I know the mothers sister is a rex so i will show you the outcomes and if you will be able to guess why is like that i will thank thank u alot!
    these are the parents:

and these are the kids there are 5, i dont know why maybe because of that it is the the fathers first time.

you can see hooded as expected, albino is also expected and full black as well. All as usual, but how did this furless guy is connected to the whole story??
    Thank you for your time

Thanks
    this is how he looks a few days later.

do you think its different rex gene? New hairless type? You can notice he has a patch of hair on its face

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hairless are recessive and Rex are co-dom.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Sometimes rex lose their curl as they age (but the whiskers should still be wavy at least), so it could be that your parent rats were poor rexes and then the baby got genes from both and is showing double rex.

True hairless is recessive and would have to have been carried by both parents... But I don't think they are born with any hair (and the baby looks double rex, not hairless).

Are either of the parents' whiskers wavy at all (can't tell from the pics)? My money would be on them being poor rex and not visibly showing at this point. If it is not that, then I'm not sure what happened.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: Is there any sense here??

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Sometimes rex lose their curl as they age (but the whiskers should still be wavy at least), so it could be that your parent rats were poor rexes and then the baby got genes from both and is showing double rex.

True hairless is recessive and would have to have been carried by both parents... But I don't think they are born with any hair (and the baby looks double rex, not hairless).

Are either of the parents' whiskers wavy at all (can't tell from the pics)? My money would be on them being poor rex and not visibly showing at this point. If it is not that, then I'm not sure what happened.
    thats the thing.. i got them both since they were a mounth. both had streight fur no curles at all, the black one even had extermely shiny and soft fur when he was young. the hairless is a recessive gene, but there wasnt even anything close to it at the places they came from, and like you said, no haires at all. the closest thing is rex that the albino female had a sister who is rex.. so somthhing here is messed up(non of his brothers is even rex) can it be like.. umm the rex became recessive? new gene?
    thank you
    Last edited by Orchamo; 09-06-2015 at 12:00 PM.