Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

1 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

My first Brazilian rainbow boa!!

Hello everyone I'm in need of information I just received this snake from sombody who was mistreating it it's still a baby prob 3 months I don't know much about it other then keep there enclosure humid an not to warm my problem is I'm trying to keep the 20 gal tank humid but it won't stay humid. I try keeping it warm an I don't think it is warm enough for him I just fed him an he kept it down perfectly some people say keeping them in plastic tubs is better than a glass tank but idk I wanna see him out an about. But all in all I just want the best for my BRB so please anyone I'm a noob an want to be a good parent any information is appreciated right now he is in a 20 gal tank on orchid bedding with peat moss on top one cold end an a warm end with a under tank heating pad at night I use a heat light cause it gets cold in my house an during the day I turn it of an keep the top covered to keep it humid in there any infor plz

Thanks

Re: My first Brazilian rainbow boa!!

Research and Google is your best friend right now. Spend as much time as you can researching every question you could possibly have. You didn't mention where the heat and humidity are at currently and how you're heating besides sometimes using a light so it's hard to give advice there. What are your numbers at? Do you have a thermostat?

I will say that keeping a consistent high humidity in a glass tank is very challenging, you may want to consider a different set up to ensure its health.

Not sure if you saw the reply poster on the other BRB thread that you commented on but that user gave some good info.

Give the specific temps and humidity levels and how you are trying to achieve them, and ask specific questions and I am sure people will be happy to try and answer them for you.

Congrats on the new baby snake and good luck! And seriously start researching, sounds like you have some homework to do on this. There is a ton of good info on good snake and BRB husbandry on this forum alone.
    Last edited by Tash; 09-03-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks

My bad I'm new to forums on pets lol I have the humidity set around 75-80 am temp is around 80 I make sure the bedding it moist not damp an I will spray the tank either once or twice a day depending on how dry the tank feels I use a heating pad on the warm side with a hide on top of it as well as peer miss in side to try an make it humid in there. On the cold side I have a hide an a water dish in the middle the heat lamp is on at night only because it gets cold. I'm just having a hard time with temp regulating an humidity they both tend to drop a lot of people say use tubs instead of a 20 gal long tank but was not to sure on it. And yes my husbandry skills need to improve a lot. I would like to know what other tanks or enclosures people are using?

Thanks

Try to crank that humidity up to the 90's if you can, they have much higher humidity requirements. Unfortunately using a heat lamp drys out the air. When I used to use a glass tank it was always a struggle. I found that covering part of the tank with a towel, I could wet the underside of it to add humidity.

Using a plastic tub is a lot easier to get the humidity up to where it needs to be. If you check out YouTube there are quite a few videos on setting them up and they are relatively inexpensive.

Also you're going to want to make sure you have all of your heating elements like UTH and lamp hooked up to a thermostat. VERY important for regulating temps and potentially saving your snakes life if they malfunction and burn/cook your pet.

Here is a link to one site that shares some info on BRB's.
    http://www.moonlightboas.com/care-in...w-boa-faq.php#

They are super gorgeous snakes. I hope to own one again one day soon, but right now I have my sights set on a baby Dumrils Boa. One snake at a time... lol
    Last edited by Tash; 09-03-2015 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks

I should also add that I'm a huge fan of using PVC cages for snakes. A personal preference. I get radiant heat panels for them and love the way most of them look. They can be a bit expensive when comparing them to say a glass tank or plastic tub but I think they are worth it.
    Feel free to post pics of your new BRB! Love them.
    Last edited by Tash; 09-03-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the info man I almost got a dumrils but when I found out this one was being abused I took it from the person an the rainbow glow from it is amazing what is a PVC cage? An what does UTH mean? Most of the videos I see on YouTube the owners are using tubs or the Exo terra tanks. How do the Exo terra tanks hold up for snakes that require humidity? First feeding did great.

Thanks

You are correct the heat lamp drys it out a lot so I don't use it much

Thanks

UTH is just under tank heater. And this is one example, more specifically the ones I like, but there are other brands and manufacturers like Boaphiles and Vision Cages etc. If you type PVC cages into Google several will pop up. http://pvccages.com

I just like them because not only do they look nice but they are easier to maintain heat and humidity and I like to see my animals. Well... I mean when they decide to show their little faces. Lol.
    Last edited by Tash; 09-03-2015 at 04:30 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You could try making a paper towel humidifier, the paper towel wicks up water from the bowl and it evaporates into the air.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

Tash (09-03-2015)

Thanks

That's a awesome idea thanks man