Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,205

1 members and 3,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Building a rack, concerned about escape.

Hello everyone. I recently found this guide and started building my own rack out of the HX5 shelving unit from Home Depot.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...er-150....easy

I'm waiting for glue to dry right now and then everything should be able to be assembled. My main concern is escape. I have an adult female, close to 2000 grams, that I've kept in a cb70 under my bed for about a year now. Just recently she figured out how to push the lid off and climb out. Luckily she's in my room and there's no where she can really escape to. Both times I've found her tucked behind my computer desk in the same exact spot. Anyway, I'm hoping this new rack will be more secure but I'm worried that she will be able to push against the top and slide the tub out. Does anyone have any experience with this style rack and is there anything you had to do to prevent escape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Building a rack, concerned about escape.

You shouldnt have an escape, but you could add some locking pins or a sliding bar to keep the tubs "locked" into the rack.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tsanford For This Useful Post:

kvanwingerden (09-02-2015),se7en (09-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    just drill a small hole and drop an allen wrench in it

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Depending on how much space there is between the top of the lid and the bottom of the shelf above it she may still be able to pop the lid off the tub and push it out of the way.

For about $6 you can get nylon non-stretch luggage tie-downs to secure the lid to the tub. They will be a PITA to use but they will keep the lid in place if she's an escape artist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Depending on how much space there is between the top of the lid and the bottom of the shelf above it she may still be able to pop the lid off the tub and push it out of the way.

For about $6 you can get nylon non-stretch luggage tie-downs to secure the lid to the tub. They will be a PITA to use but they will keep the lid in place if she's an escape artist.
    I built a lidless rack. I left an eighth inch gap like instructed so the tubs slide in and out easily. I just got everything assembled, I'm waiting for the show on Sunday to get my heat tape.

The tubs slide very easily so I'm definitely going to do something to keep them in place. My new worry is that the 41 qt tubs are a little bowed and very flexible. I don't know if it's just the tubs I got or if all the 41qt sterlites are like that. Towards the center it seems like there's enough play for them push their way out.

Using Tapatalk

Thanks

So update, realized I had more tubs so I took a look and the originals were definitely a bit warped. I think leaving them in my backseat on a hot day may have warped them. Put the new one in and the gap seems less significant. Currently running tests with my little escape artist to see if she can figure her way out.

Using Tapatalk