Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

1 members and 3,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Hide Temp Control Question

Hey there,

So I've got a quick question about the air temp inside the warm hide. I'm new to owning a ball pythons so I want to make sure I do this right. Right now I am using a Zoo Med UTH to heat my tank from the underside (regulated with a thermostat) to keep the bedding between 90-95 degrees in the hot spot. I also have my heat lamp hanging a ways above my tank to make sure the air temp doesn't get too cold since I know UTH's don't usually heat the air all too well (about 80 degrees on the cool side and around 90 degrees on the warm side). My concern is about the temperature inside the hide on my warm side. I have my hide right above my UTH pad with a thermometer probe under the substrate inside the hide to monitor the temp of the substrate, as well as I have a temp gun to check specific spots, but since I'm using a plasticky, synthetic hide rather than a real wood one (I was told not to use real wood since it rots in the humidity), I'm afraid that the air temp inside the hide is going to get too high, and hurt my snake. The hide is still log shaped and has a couple holes in it to vent, but I figured I would still ask since I've lost reptiles to overheating hides before (RIP lizards...). What do you guys think? Should the temp inside the hide stay low enough that it won't be harmful, or should I buy another thermometer to monitor it?

Oh, I should also point out that the hide is not directly beneath the lamp if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Buying another thermometer isn't going to do much for you other than tell you what you likely already know. What you want to get is a thermostat. Basically, it's a piece of equipment that your UTH connects to (between itself and the wall outlet). It has a probe of its own connected to it that you put in direct contact to the UTH so that it can control its temperature. Without one, that UTH is likely creating temps in excess of 110°F directly on the glass where it's attached (obviously, WAY too hot). Once you have that setup correctly, then you shouldn't have to worry about overheating your new addition.

EDIT: Just a point of clarification for you also - it's not the bedding that you want at the right temp - it's the floor of the enclosure. BPs like to "rearrange" things and will inevitably make it to the floor. You want them to be safe when they do.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 08-26-2015 at 02:31 PM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Thanks

Re: Hide Temp Control Question

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    What you want to get is a thermostat.
    I already have my UTH regulated by a thermostat (I mention it in the original post, but only briefly). Maybe I worded the question weirdly. Basically, I'm not worried about the floor temp. I'm worried about the air temp inside the hide. My thermostat is regulating my UTH, and I have a thermometer probe in the glass above the UTH to track the inside temp. What I'm more worried about is whether or not the hide is going to trap a lot of heat from the UTH inside itself since it's made of plastic, not wood, and become too hot for the snake. If you guys think that regulating the floor temp is enough to keep the air temp in check, then awesome. I just wanted to clarify and make sure everyone was on the same page.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ian_mersereau View Post
    I already have my UTH regulated by a thermostat (I mention it in the original post, but only briefly). Maybe I worded the question weirdly. Basically, I'm not worried about the floor temp. I'm worried about the air temp inside the hide. My thermostat is regulating my UTH, and I have a thermometer probe in the glass above the UTH to track the inside temp. What I'm more worried about is whether or not the hide is going to trap a lot of heat from the UTH inside itself since it's made of plastic, not wood, and become too hot for the snake. If you guys think that regulating the floor temp is enough to keep the air temp in check, then awesome. I just wanted to clarify and make sure everyone was on the same page.
    Thanks. Reading too fast today I guess.

You're good with the plastic hide (they're all I've ever used). Just don't shine the lamp down on it and create an oven.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Haha, no worries. Thanks for the help!