Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

0 members and 3,313 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Male not successfully mating.

Ok so I have a fairly small colony. 3rats. 1:2. I have had them for about a month or so. It seems to me that the females just shove him off when he try to mate. Even if they are in heat. I'm not sure if the females just aren't interested in him or what. They are all around the same size I would say close to 300grams. Any tips for this?

Also can someone help me with identification of my rats. I've learned quite a bit but still not sure.

My male master splinter is black with a white stripe down his belly. I believe he is a Berkshire

One of my females peaches has a tan hood. And red eyes. The rest of her is white.

My other female piper. Is a black hood with a very thing white stripe from her chin down.

That was before I bought my black hood. They all came from the same place. Some local shop decided they were gonna start breeding so I picked them up. It's actually kinda hard to find healthy female rats in Indianapolis without paying 20$a piece for them. That's why I don't have more.

A couple more questions. They all seem skidding towards me. I try to pick them up everyday and let them run around. But even when I just put my hand in the tank I get small nips. Nothing that hurts. So I just gently tap them on the nose and tell them no. I mean that might be why but I also read that rats can't feel fear for more than twenty minutes. So I'm trying to learn and not trying to necessarily breed but if it happens I got a three tub maternity rack for when they're about to give birth. Not trying to replace buying feeders just to alleviate some of the pressure on my wallet. So a litter or two every couple months would be awesome. I feel like I'm forgetting some stuff will probably add in another post and will post better individual picture of master splinter, peaches and piper tomorrow.

I guess I did have one of the back hood.
    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tvpthemvp; 08-26-2015 at 12:42 AM.