Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

0 members and 3,330 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Cool seeking but cold?

For the past week and a half, I have notice my 1280g female staying on her cool side. All my snakes are in a rack system with a herpstat set at 90F. Each tub has a foot long strip of 6" heat tape. I decided to check all the temperatures and they range from 90F-93F (on top of the heat tape inside the tubs). The one strip of heat tape the probe is connected to is exactly 91F at 21% power. I decided to look up why my female is cool seeking and the only thing I could come up with was follicle growth but the female is too small and only 15 months old but from my lack of knowledge I thought females did not become sexually mature until AFTER their second birthday. I am sure this cannot be the only reason for her to be cool seeking. She is very cold to the touch. She is not technically bowl wrapping but she does stay curled up against her glass water dish. I have a 1800g 4 year old who has yet to cool seek this year. During the day my room has an average ambient temperature of 80-82F. I really doubt follicle growth is the only reason to cool seek and with her tub being 90F, I cannot imagine that it is suddenly too hot for her. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    My idea is that they know better than we do about what temperature their body needs to be at any given time. As long as you're satisfied that you are providing her with a proper range of temperatures, which you seem to be, then let her do her thing and try not to worry about it. It's certainly good to take note of, but not something to worry about.

In her defense, "cold to the touch" doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Our own hands vary between 86°F - 96°F based on a number of factors. Being that they're cold blooded, they will feel "cold to the touch" to us a fair amount of the time being that we're providing them with a hot spot in the 90°F range.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Re: Cool seeking but cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    My idea is that they know better than we do about what temperature their body needs to be at any given time. As long as you're satisfied that you are providing her with a proper range of temperatures, which you seem to be, then let her do her thing and try not to worry about it. It's certainly good to take note of, but not something to worry about.

In her defense, "cold to the touch" doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Our own hands vary between 86°F - 96°F based on a number of factors. Being that they're cold blooded, they will feel "cold to the touch" to us a fair amount of the time being that we're providing them with a hot spot in the 90°F range.
    I guess that makes a lot of sense, but after a fight with an RI in another snake of mine awhile back, I do worry about it. As for the cold to the touch, I guess I am comparing her to my other snakes who are usually at least warm, especially in the middle of the day. I really start to worry because "anyone living in Alberta" will know about our nice little snow fall we had a couple days ago (yes in the middle of August, it snowed. Gotta love Canada), which really made things cool down.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    As long as she's offered what she needs, it's all good, imo. As Eric said, they know what they like best haha!

Some can become mature before their second birthday. There's no hard and fast rules regarding that.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo