Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

3 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Heavy Breather?

Thanks

Heavy Breather?

Yang has been home for a bit now, and the youngest kid has claimed her as "her snake". Love to see them so involved, so that's great. She's been going into her tub and bringing her out for shorts bits of handling that last few days. All seems well. Yang is very alert and inquisitive, and likes to rest on the kid's head. When she's more active she seems to breathe heavily, as in makes noise. Now I've not dealt with an RI in a very long time so I'm a bit rusty here. As far as I can tell there are no signs. She's not popping, crackling, extending her neck, or resting with her head up. There is also no mucous, bubbles or other forms of discharge. Her previous keeper was not the best, as in tried to convince me she filled her water and she drank it all the next day. All her snakes were like that, but that's another story. Am I just being paranoid? Are some pythons heavy breathers when they move a lot, kind of like someone running if they are not used to it? These guys never got handled much and were tub slugs. Nora does the same, but not nearly as much. Pyrrha not at all, but she's happy just to hang out and not move a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

EDIT TO ADD CUTE PIC

Last edited by AKA Dave; 08-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AKA Dave For This Useful Post:

KitaCat (08-22-2015),Reinz (08-21-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You know, I was about to post this exact same question. My biggest male also does this, but never when he's not out for handling and it takes him quite a while to get started. He had an RI when I first got him, so I'm a little bit paranoid with him, but it was treated by the vet months ago and he seems completely healthy. He was off food while he had his health issue, but he now eats like a pig. He acts normal, doesn't hold his head up while resting and I've seen no bubbles or excess mucus in his mouth. He's exceptionally strong and muscular, always on the move when he's out. My theory is that it's either lasting damage from his previous infection or it might just be a little quirk. I watch him like a hawk for the first sign of a health problem, but I've seen nothing.

Did the previous owner of Yang say anything about a history of RIs? I'm guessing not, but doesn't hurt to ask. Just curious about it to try and get evidence for my theory of possible lasting damage. The snake I have that does this was also not handled much before I got him, though he has always been muscular and active (at least after he recovered). It should be interesting to hear how many other people have snakes that do this.
    0.1 Onyx Pastel
    0.1 Bumblebee Het Red Axanthic
    0.1 Cinnamon Fire
    0.1 Mahogany
    0.1 Mojave Bumblebee
    0.1 Super Pastel Pinstripe
    0.1 Super Pastel Spinner
    0.1 Sherbert Fly
    0.1 Calico
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 SuperFly
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider (possible pastel)
    1.0 Pastel Vanilla
    1.0 GHI Het Red Axanthic

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Albino Corn Snake ("temporarily" caring for him)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Heavy Breather?

Great pic Dave!

The first time my 7 ft Coastal Python slithered across my shoulders I thought that she was hissing at me. But come to find out that she is just a loud breather.

I can hear my 6 Ft Boa as well sometimes.

I may not hear my adult BP due to my tinnitus and hearing loss. But who knows?

Last edited by Reinz; 08-21-2015 at 12:51 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Heavy Breather?

It's not uncommon for a BP to have what sounds like heavy breathing or even whistling when they are going in to shed, because the skin is drying out. Check that belly to see if it's turning pink :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pbyeerts; 08-21-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks

Re: Heavy Breather?

Nope...no pink. I'll go with my "tub slug" theory and keep the husbandry right till something actually presents. Hopefully it never will. The fact that Reinz has snakes that do the same is mildly comforting.

Dave

1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

Both my ball pythons do the same thing. They get excited and start moving around a lot and it sounds like their noses are whistling as they breathe. I've had them checked out and there's no evidence of a RI. I think it's normal as long as you don't see odd behavior such as refusing to eat, resting with their head up or any over production of mucus or other secretions from their mouth and nose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardein View Post
    I think it's normal as long as you don't see odd behavior such as refusing to eat.
    Pffft. I don't think this girl's missed a meal in her life.

Dave

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardein View Post
    Both my ball pythons do the same thing. They get excited and start moving around a lot and it sounds like their noses are whistling as they breathe. I've had them checked out and there's no evidence of a RI. I think it's normal as long as you don't see odd behavior such as refusing to eat, resting with their head up or any over production of mucus or other secretions from their mouth and nose.
    Yep, I took Ginger in for a vet visit for a RI too.....