Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

0 members and 3,319 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Our first BP... a resue/adoption

My wife found this beautiful baby on facebook where someone was giving her away. (Along with a large Exo Terra Terarrium). We were quick to respond and went to pick her up last night. Now we are no experts by any means, but we did a ton of research. (thanks BP.net). I have to say this girl is going to be loving her new owners. I'm not saying she was neglected, she was just not in an ideal environment. They told us she was 12/13yrs old, his daughters had it when they were younger and since moved out of the house. The tank only had one hide which was on top of the UTH with no thermostat and lights plugged directly into the wall with no dimmer. They did have a temp and humidity dial and told us they kept it at reasonable levels.

They would take it out to feed in a cardboard box and soon as the f/t rat was swallowed they would return it into the tank. The original owner seemed timid when it came time to take it out of the tank. His son had to take it out for us. My wife and I were a bit weirded out by his stand off behavior, but once we got her home and into our arms we knew this girl was a sweatheart. Almost as if the snake knew we were going to give her a better life.

Kinda a funny story that made us giggle afterwards, we asked what they had named it. "Twisted... but when I call 'snakey, snakey snakey' she would come out of hiding" We both looked at him, nodded and said "wow that's pretty neat".

Now the previous owner did say "Oh she is ready to eat!" . He had her on a once a month schedule with a large rat. I'm thinking of shortening this up. Yes? no? Anyway, we bought a rat to feed her and probably should have let her get settled for a day or two, but we did feed her. Mainly because of the way the owner told us she was ready to eat. She took a few minutes but eventually went for it. She started eating it feet first but it wasn't happening. She spit it back out then went head first. We were amazed watching her feed. It was almost a beautiful act. Now we will let her be for a few days and admire her from the other side of the glass.

So as of right now, we are trying to find a suitable name, ordered a Hepstat1, going to walmart to get a digital thermometer, and picking up another hide. She is going to be living a good life now.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Pretty girl.
    Best wishes.

Have you measured her length or weighed her? I'm just wondering if at her age, she will grow some more with a better set-up and feeding schedule.

Glad she is in better hands.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Boom (08-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thank you very much. And no we haven't measured her yet. By the time we got home last night it was late. If I were to guess, I would say she is around 3-3.5' . At the moment I don't have a scale to weigh her. But hopefully soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    she looks great and i'm glad she's going to a good home. adult BP's can eat on an every other week schedule with the right sized meal. she doesn't look thin, but u could feed her weekly to to bulk her up or get her to a healthier size for now.

as for a name - how about play off of her old name. something like Terri the Twisted. or Tammy. or whatever u and your wifey decide. congrats!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Our first BP... a resue/adoption

Nice snake and good job on the adoption.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

She looks VERY nice, for not having the utmost care and only getting fed once a month she looks really good.

Thanks
    We picked Eos for her name 💚

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Feeding every two weeks is fine. That's what my non-breeder adults are on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseadagger74 View Post
    We picked Eos for her name 💚
    is a Titaness and the goddess of the dawn, who rose each morning from her home at the edge of the Oceanusshe was the daughter of the Titan Hyperion and the Titaness Theia and sister of Helios, the sun god, and Selene, the moon goddess.