Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

1 members and 3,177 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How to care for rats until feeding day?

If I buy a rat and snake refuses cause of shedding how can I care for the rat until my snake sheds? Please give details cause I know nothing on the care of feeders. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    This is why I have several snakes. If one doesn't eat it, another will. Makes things easier...as does f/t.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: How to care for rats until feeding day?

She won't take f/t and all other snakes are either too small for her size food or already eating f/t!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    You can keep a rodent(anything older than weaned, of course), in a tank with a secure lid or a sterilte type plastic tote(you'll need to make a wire "window" for the lid so plenty of air transfer) and give it some food and a dish of water.

A water bottle setup is nice, but you can just put a dish of water in with some bedding. The rodent may fill the bowl with bedding, so plan on checking a couple times a day so it always has water to drink. You can feed a rodent most anything if it's just for a few days. Cat or dog food will get it by for a couple days if you don't want to bother with buying rat/mouse feed.

Aspen bedding is better than pine, but pine will do in a pinch. I use 'kiln dried' pine for all my rats, without issue. Don't use cedar! If you have aspen for your snakes, that will work nicely.

Most of the time, all you need is a secure container, water and food. Nothing fancy.

I have a plastic tote that I cut a window in the lid, ziptied some wire mesh to cover the window, and I have used it for years now. Technically they COULD chew through plastic, but because the inside is smooth without ridges for them to gnaw on, they haven't ever done much. A rodent with food and water is usually content to just hang out. Give them a cardboard box(like a poptart box or something) to hide in and you're set up for luxury.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Re: How to care for rats until feeding day?

No heat needed? Can I keep in my 80 reptile room?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Nah, rats are fine. I've had racks in a unheated room through winter and the only thing I did was put a piece of cardboard over top of the wire(only covered half of it) to help hold in their body heat. If you put in a little cardboard cracker box or something, it'll make a nest and stay warm even if it's get cold.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "