Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

3 members and 3,100 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help with a bad shed from breeder...

I got my almost year old BP a week ago from a local pet store, who got her from All Reptiles in Scarborough, ON. I purchased her almost a month ago, but wasn't able to take her until now. When I first went and handled her I noticed she had some shed left over on her head and neck, but that her eye caps had shed properly along with the rest of her body. It's been over a month now and the employee who is in charge of the reptiles(she is amazing) was giving her baths, and tried about every other method imaginable to get the shed off. I had been going into the store to handle her about 3 times a week so we got to each other, and it was very slowly coming off in pieces. Now I have her and She STILL has quite a bit of shed left on her... I've given her a few baths, been rubbing Zoo Meds shedding aid on her head, tried the pillow case, and have been keeping the humidity at around 65%... She doesn't hate me yet and is luckily not very head shy, but its just NOT coming off. Anything i'm missing or anything else I can do to help her? It doesn't seem to be bothering her all that much. Will it just come off the next time she sheds?

Registered User alejandrosantana0420's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help with a bad shed from breeder...

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it. Likely will come off in the next shed. Eye caps and tail tips are the most important parts to shed off. When you get the snake home you can create a humid hide out of a Tupperware and damp sphagnum moss. This should help the snake get high humidity when it needs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

danipanda (08-19-2015)

Thanks

Thanks, I've tried soaking her more then once using the same method with unfortunately no success... That's why I was looking for any other suggestions. Today is feeding day so it will be a few days before I get to try anything else. She should be going into a shed in a few weeks, so I'm praying that it's going to come off at that time if I can't get it off until then.

Thanks

I'm going to try the humidity hide and see if that'll help too!

Thanks
    What ive done when i notice my snakes are in blue i wet a paper towl with warm water and ring it out so its damp, i just stick this to the cieling or side of the hide and everytime since ive had perfect one piece sheds, plus its free and super simple. Ive also done this for a friend, her snake was shedding in pieces i threw a warm damp paper towl in the hide and next day all the remaining shed came off with none left over

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

danipanda (08-19-2015)

Thanks
    I've wrapped double sided tape around my finger and pressed my finger onto my snakes stuck shed and it pulled the shed right off no problem.

Thanks

I've thought about tape since its so loose, but I'm too worried about hurting her!

Thanks

I would avoid tape at all costs. I doubt snakes have a perfect shed in the wild often enough. They are hardy animals and I believe we stress about it more than they do when it doesn't go perfect. Leave it alone. Next cycle keep that humidity up while in blue and during the process. You can add a damp towell in the hide, near the hide, make a humid hide for it, give it all it needs to have a good shed.

Again....if you use tape of any kind you will more than likely do way more harm than good.

Our first shed was a disaster.....my fault....get your husbandy dialed in and save the tape for wrapping presents.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to h20hunter For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-19-2015),danipanda (08-19-2015)

Thanks

I personally would up the humidity to about 75%/80%. I keep all my snakes at this range and never had a shedding problem ever. This will allow the snake to shed completely next shed and take off the stuck shed. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast