Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,631

3 members and 2,628 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Little Pin is a Finicky Feeder

There is this 180g Pin at work that has been there as long as I have i.e. almost 9 months. He looks skinny for his age, but he eats a mouse every week. Unfortunately, he should be fed weaned rats but we don't carry them. He's always striking the glass if you're working by the tanks and if you enter theirs, your going to get snapped at...guaranteed. We marked him down 50% but nobody wants him because he's such a finicky eater. He will get so aggressive, but it usually takes me about 45 minutes to get him to feed. He will strike the mouse, then hide and do this several times before finally striking and eating. People don't have patience. I feel so bad, so I asked the AM to ask if we can mark him down 75% so I can take him home, fatten him up, and maybe adopt him out (but probably not). what do you think?

If you wanna step inside, pay admission at the door...
    🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
    🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
    🐕🐕🐕🐶🐶
    🐱🐈🐱🐈
    🐦🐤🐦🐤
    🐍🐍🐍
    🐊🐊
    🐠
    Total= 30 ❤
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Re: Little Pin is a Finicky Feeder

Be willing to bet with larger prey items and some time, you could have a nice snake there. I'd do it if you can give him a better life.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    Be willing to bet with larger prey items and some time, you could have a nice snake there. I'd do it if you can give him a better life.

Dave
    Thanks I think I should

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
    🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
    🐕🐕🐕🐶🐶
    🐱🐈🐱🐈
    🐦🐤🐦🐤
    🐍🐍🐍
    🐊🐊
    🐠
    Total= 30 ❤
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Would ASF help bulk him up and maybe entice him to eat?

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
    🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
    🐕🐕🐕🐶🐶
    🐱🐈🐱🐈
    🐦🐤🐦🐤
    🐍🐍🐍
    🐊🐊
    🐠
    Total= 30 ❤
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

I feel like the adoption would be good, if he's striking a lot he may be stressed out a lot or scared. If he eats fine, try feeding him a extra mouse either the same size or smaller. It'd probably be best to work with him. I don't know his age, but my 3 month old ball python that I got when he was a month old has only ever struck once at me in fear. Just be thankful he eats, my ball python doesn't do it on his own needs assist feeds.

Thanks

Also try mouses that are not white, some breeders I know feed their bps black mice since albino mice are not natural in the wild. From the whole strike and hide of it you should just leave the mouse in there for a bit. Or can try multi feeder tricks like brain cracking, etc.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    avoid to feed mice ... better start straight to rats.
    1.0 superstripe, killerbee, OD spider fire, black pastel YB, black specter, pastel dinker, spider dinker, banana, banana cinnamon, enchi fire OD, fire dream bee het. russo, pastel superstripe, 2.0 firefly dream YB.

0.2 superpastel yb, 0.2 enchi, 0.1 yellowbelly 0.2 cinnamon, 0.2 normal, 0.1 black widow, black pewter, fire, lemon pastel, pastel, black pastel, bumblebee, spider granite, het. russo, super pastel, pastel specter, specter,lesser pin, OD, fire OD, OD fire het. russo, OD pastel, firefly dream YB, fire bee het. russo, lemon pastel enchi, citrus super enchi, super pastel enchi, pastel ivory, bumblebee dinker

Thanks

When you go in to speak to your manager, there are a few talking points that you can use to your advantage so you can bring this little guy home. Your biggest tool is going to be able to explain that a "seemingly" aggressive snake is going to make potential owners uncomfortable about getting a snake at all. After all, who wants to own a snake if one snaps at the mere passing of a customer? Make it about the dollar signs and potential loss of revenue. It's hard to sell a $200 snake kit when the snake scares people. Use your knowledge about the BP too, and present the position that you will be able to rehab him and give him a good life.

Hope you are able to work it out.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    When you go in to speak to your manager, there are a few talking points that you can use to your advantage so you can bring this little guy home. Your biggest tool is going to be able to explain that a "seemingly" aggressive snake is going to make potential owners uncomfortable about getting a snake at all. After all, who wants to own a snake if one snaps at the mere passing of a customer? Make it about the dollar signs and potential loss of revenue. It's hard to sell a $200 snake kit when the snake scares people. Use your knowledge about the BP too, and present the position that you will be able to rehab him and give him a good life.

Hope you are able to work it out.

Dave
    I absolutely agree. My animal care manager owns a lot of snakes so she will be for it, we just need the GM permission ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
    I feel like the adoption would be good, if he's striking a lot he may be stressed out a lot or scared. If he eats fine, try feeding him a extra mouse either the same size or smaller. It'd probably be best to work with him. I don't know his age, but my 3 month old ball python that I got when he was a month old has only ever struck once at me in fear. Just be thankful he eats, my ball python doesn't do it on his own needs assist feeds.
    I firmly believe this is the case. Unfortunately, it's often against protocol to feed 2 prey items, but I might need to do so anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
    Also try mouses that are not white, some breeders I know feed their bps black mice since albino mice are not natural in the wild. From the whole strike and hide of it you should just leave the mouse in there for a bit. Or can try multi feeder tricks like brain cracking, etc.
    I can only use what I have at work :/ that, and we have left him for HOURS with the mouse and he won't eat it
    Quote Originally Posted by darkranger69 View Post
    avoid to feed mice ... better start straight to rats.
    Exactly my thoughts

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
    🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
    🐕🐕🐕🐶🐶
    🐱🐈🐱🐈
    🐦🐤🐦🐤
    🐍🐍🐍
    🐊🐊
    🐠
    Total= 30 ❤
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Well, I mean like brain crack feeding is a good way to feed. There's a lot of need nothing tricks, like just putting him in a dark place to eat so he feels safe. I don't know if you feed him in the cage or not but cage feeding might help too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast