Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,126

2 members and 1,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,109
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
    Thanks

Getting my first BP (also first snake)

I'd like to start of saying I apologize if this is not the right place to post this kind of question. Here soon I am wanting to get a snake (I am still debating between a corn snake or ball). I have been doing research on ball pythons because I am heavily considering them.

I see alot of things about the humidity and temperature, including the devices that are needed to manage them.

I would like to provide the best life for my pet but not make the tank situation incredibly complicated. Is there a best way to heat the tank? I know not to use heating rocks as they will burn the snake. I have seen heat pads and heat lamps used I was wondering which one is the best?

Now for humidity. The humidity in the area I live in is not up to the numbers that the snake needs. Will that cause an issue for the snake being outside of the tank? I would like to be able to handle my snake safely. Also, is managing the humidity in the tank as hard as it seems? Apparently putting the water under/over the heat source helps with tank humidity. While I'm at school though I will not be able to mist the tank with a spray bottle, will that be dangerous for the snake? Or will it be okay for the time that I am away?

Again I would like to keep my snake happy and healthy. Thank you in advance for help!

Thanks
    So, first off I'd recommend starting out with a corn. Their temp and humidity needs are less complicated than for BPs, and they are more forgiving of husbandry mistakes; BPs just stop eating for you and stress out if things aren't right. Also, corns live 10-15 years. BPs can live to be over 30; if you've never had a snake you might not want to make a 30 year commitment.

That being said, if you have your heart set on a BP, they can be good beginner snakes so long as you're prepared first. It would be a good idea to set up the enclosure and have everything running and temp/humidity in the right ranges for a week or two before getting the snake, that way its transition to its new home will be smoother.

As far as temp, I prefer heat mats. Some people use lamps. It's just whatever works best for you. The important thing to get is a thermostat; that's a device with a probe that you place between the heat pad and the tank that keeps it from overheating and potentially burning the snake. I set mine to 90, and the temp never goes below 88 or above 91.

For humidity, I'd recommend using a tub with ventilation holes drilled in (like a plastic bin that has latches on it... you can usually find them at WalMart in all sizes) and not a tank. Not as pretty, but WAY easier to manage humidity. Also, certain beddings such as cocofiber or cypress mulch hold humidity well. You can also put wet sphagnum moss in a hide to create a small extra-humid area for the snake if it wants it.
    Getting your snake out to handle it won't cause a problem as far as temps/humidity go as long as you're reasonable about it. I know some people that do marathon handling sessions for like an hour or more... I don't recommend that ever. It's just overkill IMO. But if you're just handling a normal amount of time, everything will be fine. (Obviously avoid any ridiculously cold or hot areas, but inside your house probably is in a safe range for that)
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

se7en (08-16-2015)

Thanks

Re: Getting my first BP (also first snake)

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post

For humidity, I'd recommend using a tub with ventilation holes drilled in (like a plastic bin that has latches on it... you can usually find them at WalMart in all sizes) and not a tank.
    I've seen people with very long plastic tubs for their snakes on youtube, but would it be ok to have a clear taller tub? I would still like to be able to observe my snake in his/her home. Also will the latches on the tub be enough to keep the snake in even when it's an adult? (I will get a different container for it not one for it's entire life)

Thanks

I used a 66 quart Sterilite tub that was 13" high. It worked fine as a first home for my BP. She outgrew it fast though, so I'd recommend starting with a 110 Quart if you can find them. I definitely had to use both a heat lamp and a UTH to heat all that space. Here's a picture:

Edit: Some tub latches are fine, others are not - just depends on the snake and tub. Use a luggage strap or bungee cord around the middle just to be safe.
    Last edited by thejennabird; 08-16-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria

Thanks
    Mine is one of the taller 100+ qt. tubs. If your BP is an adult or nearly adult when you get it, that should be fine. However, if you're getting a young one, don't start out with a tub that large. Babies kind of freak out when they have too much space and really need a smaller, more enclosed area.

Like someone already said, some latches are good enough, others aren't. If you can pull up areas in the center of the tub with your hands with the latches closed, you'll definitely need something else to secure the lid. They're pretty strong, especially as adults, and if they can manage to push up the lid even an inch or so, they can squeeze out.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Registered User alejandrosantana0420's Avatar
    Thanks

Their both great starter pets my first snake was a ball python and I would recommend a heat pad since I notice that with a heat lamp the humidity gets sucked right out of the enclosure owner of 10 ball pythons a boa and a corn snake

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Getting my first BP (also first snake)

before you worry about details like humidity and temp or any other husbandry you should go for the snake you like the most. Decide what you think the best match for you would be concerning temperament, how active they are, what size of snake you like. Ball pythons are typically less active, they like to curl up in a hide and just come out occasionally, where corn snakes are a little more out and about, though they still need places to hide if they want to. Balls and corns are both great for handling if that's what you're into, and they both get about the same length, but balls can get up to two to three times as thick as corns. There are lots of beautiful morphs for both snakes but you can find pretty morph corns for much cheaper than morph ball pythons. Husbandry is nearly exactly the same, but of course balls will need larger meals and maybe a slightly larger home. You really want to think it through so you don't end up with a snake you may not like, and do end up with one you love.
    About your handling/humidity question, as long as you don't handle them for extremely long amounts of time, you don't need to worry about the humidity outside the enclosure as long as inside is at a really good humidity level. One thing though, if your snake is going into a shed its best not to hold so he can really get a lot of moisture and rest, because it's really stressful for the snake, and you don't want to go through a bad shed. And for heat an under tank heater will typically be better for the belly hear the snake needs but if you want you can do a heat lamp along with the UTH and that works great, I do it for my BP and it really helps keep the humidity up in the tank as long there's moisture for the heat to evaporate, or else it can dry it out.
    Good luck picking your first snake!!!