Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

1 members and 3,036 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

New snake having health problems

I adopted a piebald ball python a couple months ago that was very malnourished and not housed well, I brought her home, bought every thing she could possibly need and she was doing well for a while there. She got some weight on her and was filling out, she wasn't eating well at first because they were feeding frozen and we switched to live pray and she started eating very well and didn't seem to have any problems. Now she is very constipated, she has these little red scales on the side of her belly, and most recently she developed a water pocket looking thing on her side. I live in a small town and my options for the vet are very limited, and unfortunately, both vets are closed right now, I am currently out of town right now and my friend is taking care of her for me right now and I don't know what to do. I'm thinking this may be scale rot but I'm not sure since I have yet to find any photos online that look similar to whats going on with her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: New snake having health problems

A picture is worth 1000 words... but it sounds like u need a vet asap

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

What type of enclosure is she in and how are you maintaining the heat and husbandry numbers?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

This is kind of an older photo of her tank when we first got her, the only difference is that I added a lof under the lamp and there is another rock like hide where the box is.

This is a recent photo of her for a size reference.

These are photos of the red scales I was referring to.

This is a photo showing her full tummy, though I have been told she's pooped a little since this picture was taken.

And these two were the ones my friend sent me of the recent addition of the water pocket.

Thank you again.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Her stomach looks burned. Is there a heat pad under the tank? And if so do you have a thermostat regulating it?

Thanks
    No, I forgot to mention that, but there is nothing for her to get burned on, I do not have a rock heater or an under the tank heater for fear of burns, her day/night lamp is her only source of heat in the tank, and I have a thermostat on both the cool and hot side to make sure it never gets too hot or cold on either side for her. Also the log under the lamp isn't high enough for her to reach the lamp, plus she isn't much of a vertical explorer.

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...hlight=blister

that blister looking thing reminds me of this snake called Howard. I'm hoping it doesn't get that bad.
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsoldier001 For This Useful Post:

JessaNichele (08-14-2015)

Thanks

Well I realize you said that there is no under heat source, but ditch the rock idea. Under no circumstances should you get a heat rock. That WILL burn her. If it's not a burn it's more then likely scale rot that's gotten very bad. It gets dry and flakey if not taken care of right away and that means she's at, "needs to see a vet right now," status. Even if it isn't scale rot it looks terrible and I've never seen a bubble like that so I can't offer a suggestion to what it is. I think it's safe to say that you need to see a vet. If it is scale rot there are several threads on this forum covering how to help relieve her. Also is that the set up that she is currently in? Because that looks awfully big for a little snake of her size atm. These guys are easily stressed by too much space when they are little like that. And you should have an under tank heater that's hooked up to a thermostat. It will cancel out the worry of a burn if it's on the thermostat. It not only keeps the snake warm but helps with digestion. What are your temps and humidity at? I feel like the scales are a husbandry issue that should be addressed. The bubble is odd to me though. Do you spot clean her tank? Make sure there is no waste laying around?
    Last edited by Tash; 08-14-2015 at 01:41 AM.

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts
    she did say that she had no heat rock or under tank heating so there isn't any chance of burns.
    Last edited by Solarsoldier001; 08-14-2015 at 01:49 AM.
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsoldier001 For This Useful Post:

JessaNichele (08-14-2015)

Thanks

I was just pointing out that the heat rock should not have even been mentioned. Not for a snake. Ever. Period. So great that their isn't one. Since its not a burn I can only imagine it's scale rot which is typically caused by poor husbandry and unsanitary conditions. I still stand by the notion that the animal should probably see a vet for the bubble if nothing else, but if the scale rot had gotten bad enough to look like a burn it should really still see a vet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast