Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

3 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Well... feeding the new pied won't be an issue...

So today when I got home from our dog walk, the new baby pied I picked up from Petsmart yesterday was sitting with just the tip of her snout hanging out of her hide. Some BP's I've had in the past have used this as a universal sign for "I'm hungry, toss me a rat." So I decided to try her. I purchased some small f/t mice today. I looked at mouse fuzzies, which is what she has been eating at the Petsmart, and decided there was no way I was going to offer one to her. My yearling Cali King could easily down two or three of those... it's just ridiculous for a BP of her size. So I offered her a small, weaned mouse, and she took it like a champ.

So now I am seriously thinking about saying something to the Petsmart manager. Having seen how easily she took down that SMALL mouse, which was two sizes larger than they were feeding her, I am kind of horrified. They were feeding her every week to 10 days a single fuzzy mouse. A guy just posted a picture of his yearling female pied BP today on iHerp who he has had since she was a hatchling and she is a monster compared to Alice, and yet, I think Alice must be a yearling based on her length, when compared to hatchling size BPs I've seen.

This is a pic we snapped yesterday. She is very thin compared to other yearlings I have seen. Should I write a letter to Petsmart or say something to the manager, or is it just pointless?
    Last edited by Hypancistrus; 08-13-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Beautiful girl! It's good that she's eating for you already.

I would definitely talk to the manager. It's very possible that they don't realize what the proper food size is. If you do, I would print out several online care sheets that recommend feeding prey as wide around as the snakes and show them to the manager. If they were written by someone fairly impressive, like Kevin McCurley or Garrick Demeyer, tell the manager about their accomplishments and experience. You want the person to realize that you have done your research and know what you're talking about. The worst that can happen is the manager is against the idea. Nothing to lose, right?
    0.1 Onyx Pastel
    0.1 Bumblebee Het Red Axanthic
    0.1 Cinnamon Fire
    0.1 Mahogany
    0.1 Mojave Bumblebee
    0.1 Super Pastel Pinstripe
    0.1 Super Pastel Spinner
    0.1 Sherbert Fly
    0.1 Calico
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 SuperFly
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider (possible pastel)
    1.0 Pastel Vanilla
    1.0 GHI Het Red Axanthic

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Albino Corn Snake ("temporarily" caring for him)

BPnet Senior Member MidSouthMorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 833 Posts
    It probably will not do any good but you can try, I have seen crickets in Ball Python enclosures at those stores, and when asked they tried to tell me it's what they eat, I shook my head and walked away before I said something I regretted. With places like that, it is simply a job, not many actually are fond of the animals like you see here or at shows. And I doubt en employee or manager of those stores would know who Garrick or Kevin are. That is a beautiful Pied though, I love the medium white Pieds.

Thanks

Re: Well... feeding the new pied won't be an issue...

We love the 50/50 pieds which is what drew our eye to her.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Thanks

How much would petsmart charge for a piebald?? I didn't know the chains carried stuff like that. I'm gonna start checking my local petsmart now. Jesus

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Hey, if your mind is saying write to Petsmart the company, or talk to the manager you should follow your mind. I mean you did pay for the animal and you are a customer with rights. They might just say thank you and glad you pointed that out. I bought a normal from Petsmart about 16 months ago and I believe they never got a chance to feed her bc I bought her like a day after she showed up there. She was like 2 or 3 mos. old. Now, never missed a meal since I had her and she is the best feeding bp in my rack at 1575gms. Good luck with the pied. She really looks good and she will catch up to where she's supposed to be in time.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

I think Albert said it perfectly. Do exactly what you feel you should do. They might change the way they feed the rest, right?

Great looking Pied. I just bought my first today (but he doesn't come until next Tuesday).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
    How much would petsmart charge for a piebald?? I didn't know the chains carried stuff like that. I'm gonna start checking my local petsmart now. Jesus

She was $429 on sale for $399, which was I felt a very good price. Pied around here have been going for $350-500 but the higher the white, the higher the price typically, and she is pretty high white. A very pretty snake.

View My iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Creepy Alien View Post
    I think Albert said it perfectly. Do exactly what you feel you should do. They might change the way they feed the rest, right?

Great looking Pied. I just bought my first today (but he doesn't come until next Tuesday).
    I had one in the past that was a stunning animal, but very bitey. When my ex and I split, she kept the pied and later sold her. This one, so far, is very nice, and all the Petsmart employees were sad to see her go.

View My iHerp Page

Thanks

Yeah I Allready went and that what he said they would charge. Also did they call it a "fancy" ball? They had what looked a pastel ( fancy haha ) . And they were charging 120.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast