Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,527

2 members and 2,525 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Rat pup help!

Thanks

Rat pup help!

I took home a rat pup today and when I was about to feed it I noticed snake mites on the container and pup itself so nope, not risking mites. So long story short I kind of want to raise the pup up. It's eyes are closed but it's pretty good in size so maybe 11-14 days old. Should I feed it formula at this point or watered down mushy cereal? These rat forms aren't so helpful since they focus on new born rat care. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Rat pup help!

So I've been rubbing his genital area to stimulate him to urinate and defecate and he has been. I got plain cherrios and mashed them in warm water and he's been taking that like crazy. He has little teeth I saw them when he yawned. His eyes should open soon.

Thanks
    Are you sure it's snake mites and not tropical rat mites? The rat mites seem more likely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Are you sure it's snake mites and not tropical rat mites? The rat mites seem more likely.
    I just do not want to take the chance I have seen snake mutes and they looked the same and it was on the top of the container the rat pup was in and not the pup itself. I ended up trying to feed it twice with no luck. My snake is a Mouser I guess and only takes f/t or live mice without hesitation. He wouldn't even look at the rat he actually rested his head on the rat pup and then went to the other corner on the enclosure.

Thanks

Human soy formula would be your best bet, the powdered kind. Rats usually open their eyes at around 2wks, until then I would recommend using a small syringe for feedings, once the eyes open you can start giving the formula in a small dish. I usually wait until three weeks and then I soak some rat lab blocks, such as Oxbow, in the formula to soften it up until it is ready to eat the blocks on its own.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!