Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

1 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Wow. Well, I had no clue. The BBS is one beautiful dog!

All my dogs have been strays or shelter mutts, but last year, we took in a mastiffy girl, and after research, I was planning for a Presa, or Cane from a breeder for our next dog. I do really like the mastiff breeds.

Nevertheless, a volunteer stint at our local pound gave me a soft spot for the Nordics. We had a girl in who was either an Alaskan Husky, or a Siberian husky (not sure which - she had an unusual red tint in her fur). I still wish we had adopted her. The only thing I don't like about the huskies/malamutes is the supposed need to always keep them on a leash. We have a large acreage outside of town that we like to hike, and it is preferable, if the dogs can just run.

Off to do more research on the berger blanc suisse...
    Last edited by distaff; 09-09-2015 at 10:30 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Schutzhund training

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Are you working on basic obedience yet?
    Just good recall, along with reliable sit, down, and a good heel on leash will go far.

Jeff Gelmann (spell?) of SolidK9Training has many videos.
    I like him a lot for just good basic, easy-to-live-with dog behavoir.
    We have three dogs; without the basics life would be chaos.
    Even with just the basics, and my girls are sometimes still sloppy about it... the neighbours are impressed! I get compliments all the time when out with them.
    Yep. Been working on basic obedience since I got him at 2 months old. At 3 months old, I started watching the Michael Ellis videos and have been following those ever since.

I didn't do everything quite right, didn't really understand a couple of concepts at the time (mainly the massive importance of engagement traing) and I have to fix a few things now, but he's done alright and I think we have a decent foundation to work from.

He knows his basics...sit, stand, down. He can stay for a decent amount of time. If there's no one around, I can have him sit or stay in place, walk around 40 or 50 feet away, have him sit, stand, down from whereever I left him, and he'll usually be good til he's released. He'll come running straight to me when he's released and it's reward time.

Recall is erratic if I'm just letting him poke around free, but we're working on it. He can heel on both sides with no leash, although this is not super reliable yet. He's making good progress on it. Loose-leash walking on either side is very good...just taking him for a basic walk is not an issue.

The main thing I made a mistake on is the engagement and focus part. It was so easy teaching him to sit and down early on I think I got too caught up in behaviors and didn't concentrate enough on focus. That's the big thing I'm working on with him now. Not really any new behaviors, just keeping him focused and engaged with me and reinforcing the current ones. He's a puppy still, 7.5 months, so it's hit or miss with the focus sometimes, but at his age I expect butterflies and smelly things to be interesting so I'm not too worried. It's getting better slowly and I expect it will continue to get better as he gets older and we continue working on it.

And same here...even with just these few basic things, people compliment him all the time on how well behaved he is and how well he listens. As his focus and engagement with me improves, and other people, dogs, etc become less interesting, we'll start being able to make big progress on his behaviors more.
    Last edited by 200xth; 09-10-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I would NOT do this on your own or even consider it. The ring sports are a huge undertaking. Schutzhund training is rather demanding, and it goes beyond the OB and bite work. You will get involved in tracking as well if you are planning to compete. It is very involved but can be fun if you have the time.

I have been involved in training for 16 years and have competed in Personal Protection (P/P) trials, PSA trials which I was able to title my first Presa Canario, and French Ring.

Obedience (OB) is ALWAYS the first area to train, and without control of a dog you have no business doing bite work.

Even with full OB a bad trainer can ruin a dog with too much pressure, or working the wrong drives.

You also need to realize that doing a ring sport is not an automatic guarantee that your dog will protect you at home. Shutzhund is a routine and I've seen dogs run off a PSA field when over pressured.

A good decoy will switch gears and give the dog an easy bite, which basically makes the exercise a zero in PSA, but the dog doesn't get ruined by pressure.

It's a very fine line with some dogs. So decide what you are looking for. A home protection dog is much different than a "sport dog". The sports are more involved and precise. A French Ring III dog is incredible to watch and you can switch from sports to home protection easier than home protection to sport.

You most certainly can send your dog to be trained by a reputable trainer and there are many around. You need to develop a relationship first, and be prepared to follow through on your end with continued training after the groundwork is put down. 50% of dog training is PEOPLE training. A bad handler can blow a competition as easily as a dog can. So while you may have to send your dog in, it is best to be involved from the start. That is not the same as doing it yourself though, you will need the help of a good decoy/trainer or both depending on the options you have.

Insurance companies are ignorant and have no clue that a properly trained protection dog is far more reliable and secure than the average dog left in the front yard of a home.

Well trained dogs are confident and secure. They know a threat VS a non threat and don't bite out of fear. It is proven, and I can prove it still with the dogs I have now.

I could go on forever on this subject but don't have the time.

This is my first Presa doing a courage test a Red Star Kennel. This dog was bomb proof with evrey family member including two very young children and with invited guests in the home.

Though the test looks harsh, it is something a dog without the right nerves would bail out on. Our pit bull that we owned during the same period of time was not suited for this. She was an obedience titled dog, but never took to bite work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsaSSAGJIXE

This is our second presa that would have been an excellent trial dog. Because of kids and multiple activities we have not been able to dedicate enough time to competing with him. That is something to keep in mind. DO YOU HAVE THE TIME?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Tmj4w9Dyo

If you do have the time, it is a very rewarding hobby! But it is still one to take seriously. IF you have a dog that is suited for this stuff I suggest you go through the motions and get some OB titles on your dog. If AKC still offers a K-9 Good Citizen title, it's something insurance companies may like to see.

You also have no obligation telling any insurance company you are competing unless they ask you.

Treat your dog properly. If you have young kids over, crate the animal. Have a secure, fenced yard and don't do anything questionable with your dog outside of the training field or at trials.
    I have plenty of time for any of this, I don't however, think my dog would pass that courage test. He just doesn't seem like he's designed that way. The more I read on Schutzhund, the more I come to the conclusion I will probably be looking for something else, something that doesn't include bitework.

Thanks for all the info.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Figured I would post a couple of pics. Camera is terrible so they're not great quality, but here he is:

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Gio (09-10-2015),redshepherd (09-10-2015)

Thanks

Good lookin pup you got there!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    I have plenty of time for any of this, I don't however, think my dog would pass that courage test. He just doesn't seem like he's designed that way. The more I read on Schutzhund, the more I come to the conclusion I will probably be looking for something else, something that doesn't include bitework.

Thanks for all the info.

OK,

But did you see the difference between the first video and the second?

I purposely showed the RAW courage test first and then the next dog, the grandson of the first one, was training sport.

We were able to compete in French Ring with dog #1 but switching from P/P to sport work is more difficult.

Now if you notice the "game" the second dog was playing with the bite sleeve on the long lead, you see he gets to use his prey drive and play drive to work into eventually biting a sleeve. The sleeve can be viewed as a tug toy by a dog, and GSD's and Mals will play all day long. Eventually a stick or whip can be added to put some pressure on the dog.

The Presa in video 1 was in almost 100% defensive drive or fight drive. I've found the bull breeds at least the ones with some mastiff in them don't enjoy long drawn out prey drive trials. There are some great pit bulls in California that have titled in French Ring III so bull breeds can do sport but the presas I've owned respond to fight but will lose interest in play prey sooner than a GSD or Mal.

Again, I could go on forever, but my point is, your dog may be able to bite in a sport. Usually the first level of any of the traditional sports is fairly easy with bite work but the OB is pretty tough.

A Brevet in French Ring is pretty easy with proper OB. Your dog doesn't have to be overly committed to the bite.

Mondio Ring is pretty fun too.

But don't ever be bummed if your dog doesn't handle pressure or bite a decoy. Even folks that pay big $$ for working dogs often go through 1 or 2 before they get something "hard".

Having been out of sport competition for a bit, I can still enjoy my dog. He is the #2 dog in the videos. He is fully trained but living a fun stress free home life. We still train when we can but just for fun.

Here is my boy still working his bite. I think this was a year or 2 ago.

The decoy and female trainer are our trainers. I was not holding him here because I had a serious leg injury and was recovering.

This is still a sport style exercise with a bite, a release and re-bite. Very simple and fun for the dog, with just a little pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHZJPtp6f4

OK, enough about my stuff LOL!

You have a cute pup there and the fact you are looking to enjoy its company in some venue beyond a leash walk, will bond the two of you for life!

I wish you luck in whatever activity you guys choose.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

200xth (09-10-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12