Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,245

2 members and 3,243 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Vigil the Dumie. Hmm wonder how THAT happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Wow. There are so many issues with this breeder I don't know where to start. First, boas aren't hatched, they are ovoviviparous and give live birth. Second, a newborn boa that hasn't eaten yet has no business being sold at a show. All my boa babies get two or three meals before I think about selling them.
    Exactly! I actually just found out that boas give live birth yesterday, but... forgot off the top of my head just now when I made that post though. (facepalm) But even my thoughts during the show: breeders have no business selling snakes who have not at least three meals, in my opinion... much less no meals.

Now I kind of wish I'd wrote down what the booth's name was.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-11-2015 at 06:31 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've grown jaded over the years.

Unless I know something of their background, I don't trust a breeder's/seller's word on any animal. The person doesn't have to be well known, but I always want some prior interaction or documented history before I'll even consider them.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    ETA: I couldn't access Hardy's facebook page - but it may have been one of the many taken down recently. She is interviewed on an episode of Herp Nation Radio Network (Royally Addicted, date??). I haven't listened to that one yet, but I'll have time this evening.
    Last edited by distaff; 08-11-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thinking back, I wonder who exactly those people at the booth even were, to not know that boas don't hatch from eggs... if anyone even remotely familiar with boas should know how they breed and are born. I suppose they both weren't even the breeder. :\ Who knows what the truth is at this point LOL.

Distaff, true that.
    And let me know what you think when you watch the interview! I honestly didn't have a legit flowing conversation with Susan at the show or anything, besides a few of the basic questions about Vigil and some "she is a sweet girl" comments from Susan.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    RS, congrats on your Dum! She is a real beauty. I love her coloring and markings as well.

Probably for the best that the other guy with the male Dum blew you off. You ended with a better match for you.
    If you have his card, send him a pic of you with your girl.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (08-12-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Good interview with Hardy on HerpNation Radio. Most of her efforts are in Balls, she is working with a couple of morphs, the Blitz and (IIRC?) Verdigris. The most interesting part of the interview for me was near the end, when she was speaking of some of her Peruvian Boas that originate from Gus Renfro stock.

There was no mention of the Dumerils, but again, I could not find a date on this interview.
    Seems like a nice lady, and also a good breeder who cares about quality.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (08-12-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    RS, congrats on your Dum! She is a real beauty. I love her coloring and markings as well.

Probably for the best that the other guy with the male Dum blew you off. You ended with a better match for you.
    If you have his card, send him a pic of you with your girl.
    Thanks! She is perfect. And yeah, definitely nodding my head at that guy. It's too bad I didn't pick up his card. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Good interview with Hardy on HerpNation Radio. Most of her efforts are in Balls, she is working with a couple of morphs, the Blitz and (IIRC?) Verdigris. The most interesting part of the interview for me was near the end, when she was speaking of some of her Peruvian Boas that originate from Gus Renfro stock.

There was no mention of the Dumerils, but again, I could not find a date on this interview.
    Seems like a nice lady, and also a good breeder who cares about quality.
    Interesting- possible that she didn't breed the dumie herself then, or just breeds them on very rare occasion? I also took a listen to the recording, and she sounds very enthusiastic about the BP and boa morphs.

Thanks for your thoughts! I agree, she sounds like a passionate and dedicated breeder.

Thanks
    Vigil was on live rats before with the breeder. I offered a thawed weaned rat today, dangled in front of her... she seemed like she had no interest in it whatsoever. Not even a little sniff.

I put the rat down in her tub and just kind of watched her for 10 minutes. She slithered around pretty slowly, came back to the prey... sniffed it a little bit. Found the head. Opened her mouth. Started eating.

No strike, no coil, no intense interest shown either- just very slowly started eating.

God, I have only heard tales of such lazy snakes and now I have one myself. I'm very glad she ate the F/T though! Hope this continues!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-12-2015 at 01:08 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

ratchet (08-19-2015),Tash (08-12-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Vigil was on live rats before with the breeder. I offered a thawed weaned rat today, dangled in front of her... she seemed like she had no interest in it whatsoever. Not even a little sniff.

I put the rat down in her tub and just kind of watched her for 10 minutes. She slithered around pretty slowly, came back to the prey... sniffed it a little bit. Found the head. Opened her mouth. Started eating.

No strike, no coil, no intense interest shown either- just very slowly started eating.

God, I have only heard tales of such lazy snakes and now I have one myself. I'm very glad she ate the F/T though! Hope this continues!
    From my experience a lazy eater who eats consistently is the best case scenario. Less potential for stupid feeding errors where you get bitten.

Trust me, that's much better than having a snake that rockets out of the enclosure the second they smell food.
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 08-12-2015 at 09:24 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

KitaCat (08-19-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post

Ratchet, thanks! And yesss, dumeril's are definitely so cool looking. ;; When did you obtain yours? It's always good to hear about breeders who teach and care about their animals instead of pushing a sale.

I also experienced a bit of a pushy seller at the expo. To be honest, I was blatantly lied to... :\ I inquired about these three little hatchling dumeril's and asked how many meals they have had, and the guy said, "They were hatched just recently, 3 weeks ago, had a couple meals already. If you give them a live mouse though, they'll snatch it up right away."
    A couple minutes later, I just happened to ask the breeder the same question, and he gave me a different honest answer. "They just hatched 3 days ago! They haven't eaten yet." The other dude stood there silently right next to him. I just said, "Ohhh.. I see," and the breeder apologized again and reiterated that they just came out of the egg 3 days ago. It was awkward and I thanked the breeder.

Lesson learned, need to ask multiple people at the same booth the same questions.

Sorry for the late response! But I got my girl August 24th of 2013. So she is just over 2 years old now as she was 2 weeks old when I bought her. I put her in a 12.5"W by 24"L tank when I got her and now I'm looking at a new one for her, so she hasn't grown extremely fast. But still pretty and mellow. Here is a side by side of a then and now picture to show how much she has grown in 2 years!

I'm glad the Dums don't grow fast, so they are easy to get used to their size. Still can't wait till she is fully grown! I'll be getting a pexi glass and melamine board cage for her, I think, something that will last a few years. I'll build it myself, if I can get the supplies cheap enough.

Too bad the guy wasn't honest... at a reptile expo, I'm surprised he was trying to take advantage of people! Chances are he'd get caught lying like he was rather than being successful with sales. Cause boas hatch out of eggs...

I hope yours is doing well! Feel free to post more pictures!
    living and learning.
    4.2 Ball Pythons
    1.0 California King Snake
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa
    0.2 Red Tail BCI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast