Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

3 members and 3,422 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Need help lowering humidity

Hey guys,

I hope you are well.

I need some advise on how to lower the humidity in my viv.

The internal humidity is around 69-71% with my outside (Room) humidity at around 42-49%.

I am using the 3ft Monkfield Viv -

My viv layout is as below - (Pleae note I have moved the water bowl to the far corner now (Cold side) which is where I am getting the 69-71% reading from

I use a digital Hygrometer and have double checked with an analogue one to make sure the readins are faily similar.

MY temps are -
    Hot Hide: 90f
    Ambient Temp: 82f
    Cold Hide: 79/80f

I have read about drilling more holes and adding vents but this will likely mess up all my temps.

Any help?

Thanks
    You might actually be surprised at how much heat you wouldn't use by adding another vent actually

From the stuff I've read, humid air will actually rise higher than hot air (which technically doesn't actually rise - hot air just gets less dense as the air turns to vapour) so by the time the air turns humid you've actually lost a lot of the heat that the air once contained, and so getting rid of that air won't actually sacrifice a lot (if any) heat

FWIW I had an issue early on with over-humidity in my tank, I just pushed another vent through in the top corner of the cold side. Not only did this reduce the humidity by about 8% but it also actually made it a lot easier to regulate my temps. Now that just might be me so don't take that as gospel

Think of it this way instead - what's the worst that could happen by popping another vent in? If the worst case is that you lose too much heat you can block the vent back off and try something else, but it may be worth having a look

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eddie-head For This Useful Post:

Davidpearl (08-11-2015)