Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

2 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Tree boas vs green three python vs emerald boa: How do they move?

Are they fun animals too watch? Do they move around a lot compared to ball pythons, boa constrictor, retics? I've never had any snakes, but read up a lot on common boas and ball pythons, but can't easily find as much about how these aboreal snakes move.

Thanks
    I don't know about arboreal snakes, but my BP's basically eat, poop, and hide. The only time I see them is at night when they come out to "hunt" and when I get them out. But, I am curious to see what other users have to say about GTP's and ETB's! Always liked the looks of the Emerald Tree Boas and would like to keep one someday.

Thanks
    GTPs are not very active, you will rarely catch them doing anything but hanging on a perch unless you are up in the middle of the night.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisM For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-05-2016)

Thanks
    My GTP would roam every night once the lights went out before he passed. Lights on he would move from hot to cool side and that's about it.

Thanks

Re: Tree boas vs green three python vs emerald boa: How do they move?

Felix hides most of the day in his log and comes out in the evening. He's great to watch....when he's out.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My Biak GTP is my only display snake, he hangs out on his perch in sight all day between the cool side and the hot side. Before I got more BPs and setup a rack system I kept my first BP in a tank and hardly ever saw it unless it was time to feed. Although my Biak is a mean SOB and will tag me any chance he gets, it is still nice to see him perched up all day.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Pretty standard answers. They, the totally arboreal snakes, make decent display snakes as far as usually being visible and hanging. When I speak to people who own GTPs and carpet pythons I almost always hear their carpets are the better display snakes of the two.

Part of this may be because they (carpets) are only semi arboreal and will climb and descend to the cage floor at any time of the day or night. Carpets tend to be much less shy and certainly easier to handle in general. There are always some exceptions.

Unfortunately I know little about the tree boas. I know they have very long teeth like the GTP and typically like to be left alone.

I find the tree pythons and boas very interesting, and would think if you are only looking to view an arboreal setup without doing much handling or expecting a lot of movement they would be fun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Reinz (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    I have had gtp's (aru and biak) and Amazon treel boas. Activity level of the gtp's was about the same as our bp's. Attitude varied just like it does with bp's. I had an aru female that was as mellow mannered as any bp I have ever seen. I had a biak male that preferred to be left alone. As far as the amazon tree boas. Everyone I ever had and worked with would bite at least once per encounter. Did not seem to mind being picked up after that but they always made you earn it.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

BigLou3 (06-27-2016),Gio (01-05-2016)

Thanks

I have had several Emeralds and Green Trees you have to remember they both are nocturnal. Daytime they rarely move night time once all lights are out they roam like crazy. I had red lamps inside the snake room at night to watch them.

Tim Rash

Tim Rash

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I've heard most Biaks are demons but Aru and Sorongs are pretty mellow. Of course I guess it also depends on the snakes personality and handling. I am trying to soak up all the knowledge I can on GTPs as I think that will be the next venture for me. As for activity, I think your best best for an active snake is either a colubrid or a form of BCI as they seem to be mellow and both my BCI girls actually like to come out and ride on me. Takes about 30 secs to get them out and about 5 mins to try and get them back in
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie