Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,428

1 members and 3,427 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Concerned about my BP

So as some of you may know, I recently got a new ball python about a week ago. On Thursday, I completely remodeled her tank, making sure she had a hide on the cool side and on the warm side, replaced the carpet with eco-earth, and purchased a thermostat to regulate the heat. I put her in her newly remodeled tank that afternoon and that evening my boyfriend wanted to see her so I went to take her out. When I reached in, she immediately started hissing at me, so I left her alone. I figured that she was stressed since I had just changed her environment so I plan on leaving her alone for a couple days. What im concerned about is the fact that I've barely seen her move to the warm side of the tank. Twice, actually, I've caught her over on that side. I don't mind leaving her be for a couple of days while she adjusts, but I'm worried about not seeing her trying to warm herself. I've seen her lay on top of her hide on the warm side, but never go in it. Am I just being paranoid? Is it possible she is using it while I'm not around?
    Also, should I hold off feeding her while she's in this mood? I figured if I fed her, that would be an additional couple days of peace she could get.
    Bellissimo Ball Pythons

0.1 Normal
    0.1 Pastel Piebald
    0.1 SuperFly
    0.1 GHI
    0.1 Albino
    1.0 Albino Stinger
    1.0 Banana Spider
    1.0 Pastel Savannah
    1.0 Pastel 66% Het Pied

More coming soon...I'm sure.

Thanks

Re: Concerned about my BP

Give her 10-14 days to get acclimated. Dont feed her,dont handle her....nothing. She is stressed!
    If she happens to be shedding around this time,give her even longer.
    Hope this helps.

Brian

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What's the temperature of the tank surface on the warm side?
    Last edited by The Golem; 08-08-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks
    What are your ambient temps? If those are in the right range, she should be fine until she gets comfortable enough with her surroundings to go into the hide.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    my girl will sometimes go a couple of weeks on the cold side - seemingly for no reason. To the point where I will tell her off when I get her out and I can feel her coldness. She never bloody listens

As long as your hot/cold/ambient temps are reading within the ranges I wouldn't worry too much. A snake will move when they feel like it. Be mindful of when you observe her as well, as the majority of movements happen at night. Several times I've heard a thud at 1am and walked through to see my girl on her hot hide staring out at me as if to say "no - no I didn't just fall out of those branches again!"

What I also have in the tank is a large bit of java root that forms a "bridge/tunnel" between her two hides and I have silk plants draped along the back covering the gap. I think it looks nice but it also gives her something to crawl under to keep in cover between hides

Also as per above comments, if she's recently moved in a good week to 2 weeks leave alone should help her settle in