Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My snake got bit during his feeding. PLEASE HELP!

Here's my story, please bear with me because it's a long one.

My husband and I got our normal BP almost five years ago. We are unsure of his age because we got him from a friend who was not experienced with snakes at the time (we weren't either at the time). He's a good sized boy (about 4.5', 1300g). Anyway, my husband had a drinking problem and was on probation and landed himself in a four month treatment program back in April. Since he's been gone, I've obviously been left to care for our boy. Not long after he left, I found out I had cancer and ended up in the hospital for two months. While I was gone, our boy didn't eat (everyone we know is afraid of snakes and refused to help care for him while I was away), so he went about two months without a meal. I just got home about two weeks ago and I fed him a larger medium-sized rat. In the process, he was attacked (I thought it was a scratch because of the length of the wound but my husband told me over the phone that a rats claws probably wouldn't piece the skin that badly so it was probably a bite). My husband told me to keep his tub extra clean and to swab it with peroxide. I did both every day for the first week, then landed back in the hospital again. I just got home today and went to change his bedding and I noticed that his wound, which originally started on the top of his head and stretched about 1/4" to his right eye, was swollen and glossy, and his right eye is white/off-white. He CLEARLY needs to go to the vet ASAP. The problem is, I LITERALLY have $10 to my name, I probably won't even have the gas to drive him to our vet. I'm out of work due to my cancer and being in the hospital so much over the last few months. I don't have good credit because of years of hospital bills (this is my second round of cancer) so I have no credit cards and won't qualify for Care Credit. I have no family or friends that can help me financially. My son and I are literally living off of his child support right now until my husband comes home next month. I created a GoFundMe page to get help but I honestly have no idea how much this is going to cost me. We took him to our vet back in February for a mild infection and it wasn't very expensive at all but this is MUCH worse. I have basic knowledge of how to care for him- feeding, shedding, cleaning, etc, but I have no knowledge of what to do in case of an emergency, like this. Also, he's normally very calm and friendly, and when I took him out this evening to clean his tub, he acted very erratic and it actually scared me a bit. I am almost 100% positive that he will be blind in his right eye where the infection is but I'm terrified that if I don't get him to the vet ASAP, he is going to die. I absolutely LOVE my snake! I love him the same way people love their cats and dogs and when I saw his eye, I burst into tears. I'm well aware that if I can't afford the care of the animal, I shouldn't own the animal. But I wasn't expecting to get sick, nor was I expecting my husband to end up in prison/rehab. I am also well aware of the implications and dangers of feeding live, but this is what he's been eating since we got him, and this was his first accident (and this was one too many).

I need suggestions on what to do for him. Please keep in mind that when I said I had $10 to my name, that wasn't an exaggeration, so I can't afford some expensive cream/ointment/etc. Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: My snake got bit during his feeding. PLEASE HELP!

You have too much on your plate and no resources. You need to take care of you and your family first. Find a reptile rescue and see if they will take the snake off your hands. I understand its a pet but right now the best thing you can do for all is to turn the snake over to someone who is in a position to care for it.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 08-07-2015 at 07:40 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-07-2015),GoingPostal (08-07-2015)

Thanks

What state are you in? Maybe there is a member(s) that could help you out with this snake. If you're in the NJ area I will help you out. I agree with rlditmars about the priorities that you need to focus on right now and I wish you the best.

Steve

Thanks

I forgot to add, a blind ball python can live out its full lifespan very easily. They rely on their heat sensing pits to locate their prey so although it's sad that it may be blinded it is in no way a death sentence.

Thanks
    Before you go rushing to the vet you might want to try some betadine treatments. It's available in any pharmacy and is not expensive. Usually it's used to prevent th occurrence of an infection, and it might be too late to try but it's worth a shot.

It does sound like you need to seek help from a rescue to manage this responsibility until your health returns. God bless.
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 08-07-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Before you go rushing to the vet you might want to try some betadine treatments. It's available in any pharmacy and is not expensive. Usually it's used to prevent th occurrence of an infection, and it might be too late to try but it's worth a shot.

It does sound like you need to seek help from a rescue to manage this responsibility until your health returns. God bless.

If the eye is, in fact, white/cloudy, then the snake likely has a subspectacular abscess, and betadine won't do anything for that. Subspectacular abscess will require I&D and antibiotics. Betadine on the head wound, however, will likely buy some time to find an appropriate rescue. Betadine ointment is often easier to apply and less prone to cause a hypersensitivity reaction.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I agree with sending him to a legitimate rescue or rehoming him with someone who has the resources to care for him. What state are you in?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (08-07-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Get well soon, both of you.
    Prayers, if you want 'em.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you consider surrendering him to a rescue, you might ask specifically what they will do for him - it may not be any more (or even less) than you can do.

Thanks
    Again, what state are you in? In addition to members who might be willing to help out, people may be able to recommend a good rescue. The rescue I'm familiar with works in tandem with the local vet school so all the animals get vet care.

If you explain your situation, they may even be willing to adopt him back out to you after things calm down a bit.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast