Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,573

0 members and 2,573 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Cut eggs, snakes not coming out!

We decided to go ahead and cut our eggs on day 54 of 90 degrees. This is our first attempt at breeding. We decided to cut because when our female laid the eggs, we did not separate the eggs and instead left them laying in a pile as they seemed like they might rip if we tried to pull them apart, and by day 54 our top 2 eggs were VERY dented and basically caving in on themselves and the bottom 3 were not dented at all. We have had them in a Reptibator incubation system for the full term. The humidity says it's at 80% but the walls are visibly moist and our substrate is definately wet and moist to the touch. I cut the eggs 3 days ago and all snakes appear to be alive however as far as I can tell the yolks are still pretty large. They are still not coming out. It's been three days and at first they were very active and now I checked this morning and they are not moving much. I am heartbroken and am so afraid that I did something wrong and ended up killing my clutch. I only nicked a vein on the very top one and that one actually appears to have some slight movement still. The eggs had a lot of clear liquid in them. I don't know if that means anything or not. I thought they would be coming out a lot earlier so I ended up cutting off the flap of shell at the top and now they are exposed to the air as well, though most are still covered by the clear fluid. Is there anything else I can do? I'm getting to the point now where I feel like every move I make is just making it worse and worse.

http://imgur.com/mRp1b2d
    Last edited by Oh_BubbleTrumps; 08-05-2015 at 10:56 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm trying to figure out who separates the eggs,and cuts them in the wild

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grcforce327 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-05-2015)

Thanks

Re: Cut eggs, snakes not coming out!

Thank you for your help. I didn't post for debate, I didn't waste my time creating an account here, taking pictures and writing down my issues and posting it on the internet to conversate with you. I am trying to SAVE MY ANIMAL'S LIFE. The eggs are cut. If you want to help or have any further advice FROM THIS POINT IN MY SITUATION ONWARD that's great. Otherwise leave me alone, please.
    Last edited by Oh_BubbleTrumps; 08-05-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts

Leave the eggs alone for now. The babies will come out when they are ready. I've had some wait for 3-4 days even after pipping on their own.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Oh_BubbleTrumps (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Just give it time. It's not a quick process. A small nick to a vein is nothing to worry about. And clear liquid is a good sign. A lot of times when eggs are cut early on the liquid starts getting a bit funky...

Good luck!
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would just leave them alone... The more u open the tub the more heat is getting out.. I have done the same thing u have done and realized that they needed more time.. The incubator you have isn't the best and I don't believe they give a right temp... usually around day 60 to 62 mine come out of the eggs with the cheaper incubators... That's what I have noticed... And by the way u did the right thing and left the eggs together a lot of people leave them the way they are...
    MALES.. 1.0 Coral glow Mojave... 1.0 Coral glow Scaleless head... 1.0 Coral glow Het Pied.. 1.0 Orange dream pastel.. 1.0 Black head Pastel Rng Rg.. 1.0 Calico Yellowbelly.. FEMALES.. 0.1 Bumblebee Scaleless head.. 0.1 Black Pastel 66 Axantic.. 0.1 Leopard Lesser Pastel.. 0.1 Champange Pastel.. 0.1 Pastel Het Pied.. 0.1 Enchi… 0.1 GHI.. 0.1 Het Albino.. 0.1 Mojave.. 0.1 Normal....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RichieBoo For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member MidSouthMorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 833 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grcforce327 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out who separates the eggs,and cuts them in the wild
    He was searching for help, not smart comments, it's not appreciated on forums for people seeking help. Every breeder cuts their eggs, with that said, like the others said just give it time, you've got some great advice so far.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MidSouthMorphs For This Useful Post:

black06gt (08-05-2015),h00blah (08-06-2015),maudie (08-05-2015),MS2 (08-06-2015),Oh_BubbleTrumps (08-05-2015),redshepherd (08-06-2015),wolfy-hound (08-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RichieBoo View Post
    I would just leave them alone... The more u open the tub the more heat is getting out.. I have done the same thing u have done and realized that they needed more time.. The incubator you have isn't the best and I don't believe they give a right temp... usually around day 60 to 62 mine come out of the eggs with the cheaper incubators... That's what I have noticed... And by the way u did the right thing and left the eggs together a lot of people leave them the way they are...
    The Reptibator by Zoomed is one of the only commercial incubators that has a built in proportional thermostat. It is a great incubator for the price and is used in a lot of public zoo breeding programs. I just hatched out a clutch of 5 eggs out of 5 laid on August 3rd. The temperature was steady and reliable throughout the whole incubation period. The humidity was what had to be tweaked. But I used press and seal on the tubs to improve on the humidity percentages.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Oh_BubbleTrumps (08-05-2015),wolfy-hound (08-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidSouthMorphs View Post
    He was searching for help, not smart comments, it's not appreciated on forums for people seeking help. Every breeder cuts their eggs, with that said, like the others said just give it time, you've got some great advice so far.
    Some of us wait until the day after first one pips, but then I incubate at 87*F so it takes longer. Usually I end up cutting only one or two eggs from each clutch.

BTW my first clutch was inadvertently incubated at 86.5*F though I thought it was at 88*F due to a faulty thermometer, which is why I wait now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Next time I will definitely wait until one pips. I was concerned about the two eggs that were really badly dented in on themself, but in retrospect I should have just let them do their thing. If I lose them all I will just be devastated. I will post again if I have any news and thanks to everyone for giving me some direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast