Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

0 members and 3,179 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

New Iguana, Issues?

I just adopted this Iguana from a shelter. I noticed a few things that concern me, as a first time Iguana owner. Please let me know if / how worried I should be able them.

The first is the tail. It goes very dull and brown about half way down, and has a big lump on the tip.

The second is this lump in the arm. Is this a preivious break? Metabolic bone disease? If it is metabolic bone disease or something like that, can a healthy diet and vitamins restore / not make things worse?

Also, this iguana is apparently 4+ years old, and I believe it's incredibly small for the age. From what I read, it should be about 18 inchec s/v length, and he's about 18 inches total.

Thanks.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I'd wonder if maybe it didn't lose the end of the tail at a young age? No idea on the lump but would concern me enough for a vet visit, get an xray and see what's going on there. As far as size, could be stunted a bit from poor care, happens a lot with igs but with room and plenty of food you will see a big growth spurt pretty quick. Certainly doesn't look very large for a four year old but kind of hard to tell from those pics, is it male or female?

Thanks
    The shelter says female, I say male 99% sure. Has pores, vent bumps, and cheeks.

Here's a couple shots in the cage right now. It's temporary until we get a piece of furniture finished for a permanent terrarium.

Thanks
    I've got him set up with a fat dish of pellets and salad now. He's stressed from the journey today, but I'm sure he'll be getting plenty to eat here!

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Well looks decent size and weight in the new pics, thanks for adopting! If the arm is mbd proper food and uv will help, as long as it's not too far along but not convinced that's what's going on. Maybe give it a couple weeks and see if there's any change.