Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

1 members and 3,408 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

WC Grey Red-Tailed Rat Snakes (Gonyosoma)

Hello all,

I'm in need of some advice I suppose. I have read various threads on the internet, including this forum, regarding wild caught red-tailed ratsnakes. I bought a pair from LLLReptile less than a couple of weeks ago, and upon opening the box, I observed that the female was very spindly, had a stuck shed, and had odd ridges along the length of her body. The male looked well, and still does. The female is continuing to decline. I have found many schools of thought, as some say WC will generally die from stress if you try to handle and treat their conditions, and some say it's worth trying. I kept thinking the female was going to pass but she is still hanging on. I've never really had a snake that was unhealthy before (except for a corn that I got on craig's list that randomly convulsed and subsequently died). I'm just not sure if it's worth it to take her to the vet, and I don't know that there are any good herp vets around.

I have attempted to feet F/T mice and the male showed interest but didn't go for it. The female zero interest. Anyone have experiences with these guys that can offer some advice? I have handled both upon taking them out of the package, and the male just for seconds today for the first time since getting him. The female I have examined. They do not strike or bite, as it seems most people would have one believe they would. The female seems to have some mouth issue going on that I observed today.

I didn't contact LLL as I figured WC has the risk that you'll receive an unhealthy animal. Not sure if I should have or not. I've bought from them before and had nothing but great things to say.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: WC Grey Red-Tailed Rat Snakes (Gonyosoma)

I think they are well known ( as a species ) to come in with parasites so getting a sample to a vet might be a good start.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Re: WC Grey Red-Tailed Rat Snakes (Gonyosoma)

Dear redfox,

This is really a bad attitude. In my opinion, if you buy an animal, any animal, you have an obligation and a responsibility for this animal. It shouldn’t matter if your snake did cost you 10 or 100 or 1000 $, if it is WC or CB – it is ill and you can’t deal with it yourself go to a vet!

I keep Gonyosomas for more than 20 years, most of them CB. I got a pair of WC animals once and both died within a very short time, even with the help of a vet it was too late for them.

Did you already separate the male from the female? If not, do this as the first step to prevent a possible infection of the male.

If you don’t know any vets who might treat snakes call any vet and ask if he/she knows somebody who does – they should be able to help you find a proficient vet.

Get both of your snakes to the vet ASAP, the stress of another transport might kill them, if you don’t go they will die.

WC Gonyosomas can be difficult to feed, they are not used to mice or rats, they may have eaten birds or even bats, so it can be really difficult to get them to eat. Try day-old chickens, this was the only items my WC would eat at all.

Good luck with your snakes!

Roman
    Last edited by Roman; 08-02-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: used a forbidden word, sorry about that

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts
    Redfox, will send PM. A good friend of mine has dealt with a lot of WC gonyo's and might be able to help out.
    ~Marissa~

Thanks
    Roman - It is not about the cost of the animal, my concern is that she was already going to pass and that treatment may exacerbate her existing conditions, which is something I believe I discussed in my original post. In my research, some people seemed to advise against treating WC animals because they believe it creates further stress which may actually expedite their deaths. I had also read that fecal testing often fails to show parasites that are indeed are present, and some say one should just treat regardless of results.

That said, she did end up passing anyway. The male is doing fine, other than not eating yet. Roman, I will try the chicken idea, thank you.