Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

1 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: New to bp

Thanks

New to bp

My husband and I just got our first bp. We did the 7 day quarantine, and he just fed last night (2nd attempt). Today I went to hold him, he is a baby and our breeder told us it's a good idea to hold them daily except when in shed and the day of feeding. He was hissing a lot when I went to get him out. I am super scared of getting nipped. He unballed within minutes and started wandering around my arm, but had a couple of quick jerks where he pulled his head back. Is this normal behaviors or should I have left him alone when he initially hissed at me? Sorry if you needed more or less information.

Thanks

Re: New to bp

First off welcome to the site! Sounds like you got a nice feeder as well it took one of my BPs a month and a half to eat for me. I personally don't handle my snakes daily just my preference, but I know people that will handle every day. When he hisses at you just continue to pick him up because if he associates hissing with you leaving him alone, he will hiss even more. I know it is scary when you get hissed at but don't be afraid to get bit, it feels like a pinch and worst case is that he might draw some blood.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang5 For This Useful Post:

Scrowly2010 (07-24-2015)

Thanks
    I think you should probably wait 48 hours after feeding to hold him. He needs time to digest his meal. On the other points, I totally understand. When I got my first bp I was terrified of getting bitten. I now have 2 and a brb and I have never been bitten. You get to know how to read your snake. Here are some pointers the breeder gave me when I bought my first from him:

1. Don't just pick him up. Reach in and rub his back a little to let him know you're there. He'll start to associate that with being picked up.

2. Watch his head. Bp's only strike out in the direction their head is pointing. They won't whip around and bite you. Go at him from behind. If you need to, push him a little until he's not facing you and then pick him up.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks

Where I got my snake told me 24 to 36 hours. But I also have a bp that's about a year or slightly older now. Don't be afraid if the bite you. Mine (Prada) did because I was handling her a little rough and it was feeding day. I had stupidly handled the mouse first. I was more shocked that she did it than it hurting. Her teeth are so tiny and thin it was probably equivalent to a quick poke with a very thin needle.

You can see the outline of her cute little mouth. I'm glad it happened cause now I know it doesn't hurt. And they will more than likely only lash out when they have a reason to. Handling wrong, haven't been fed and you smell like their food.

Thanks
    Thank you so much. You have all been very helpful. Lesson 1 learned, I will let Khan have a couple days after eating before I pick him up. Rubbing his back before picking him up is also a great tip thank you.

Thanks

I thought I'd point out that quarantine refers to keeping an animal in isolation from other animals while you wait to see if the animal has an illnesses. Isolation usually refers to an animal that has been confirmed as having an illness. I do at least three months, six months is ideal for new animals. The advised two week period of not handling the animal is to allow the animal to be more accumulated.

Being bitten is really not a big deal with ball pythons. I've been bitten a few times. You'll probably laugh when it happens. That said, don't feel bad if you're nervous about being bitten. Put on gardening gloves and a jacket if you have to. The snake doesn't care what you're wearing, it cares how you approach it. Be confident. Don't try to pick it up then withdraw then try to pick it up then withdraw then try to pick it up. That reads as a predator trying to figure out how to eat the ball python. Be confident. Approach it from behind its head, give it a quick stroke, then pick it up using your full hand to pick up the snake at its largest point. Also, some snakes are head shy. They just don't want their faces touched, their noses bopped, or their head stroked. If something does touch their head, they'll usually jerk their head away from the object that touched their head. This is a defensive behavior, not a hunting mode or aggressive behavior. Don't worry about the jerking movements, it's just a baby ball trying to figure everything out.

I don't handle my snakes every day. I don't think it's necessary to do that. You'll find a rhythm with yours.

Thanks
    I bought my BP secondhand and noticed he tended to shy away at first as well, until he's been handled for a few minutes. I tend to avoid making contact with his head/neck unless he initiates the contact himself. Im just speculating here but my whole reason for this is that it may make him feel threatened or uncomfortable since thats a very sensitive area for them.
    I've been handling mine everyday, except on feeding days and a day after, and now he'll come out of his hide and slither right up my arm without having to pick him up. This was in about a month's time, mind you my BP is older and has already been used to being handled, so it could take longer for your little guy.
    As for being bit, it seems to differ from BP to BP. I've handled mine right before his feed and even fed him with just my hands, handled him during his shed to clean any feces or urates out of his tank and have never been bit let alone had him hiss at me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    When your BP has it's head/neck in the S formation, leave it alone. It's stressed/scared and ready to strike.

Like others have said, let him know you're there by giving him a little rub before u pick him up. He's new to you and his new home, let him adjust to his new surroundings. Also let him rest and digest after a meal.

Also - congrats! Welcome to the ball python/snake club.
    Last edited by Ax01; 07-26-2015 at 09:11 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292