Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

4 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Escape foiled.

Thanks

Escape foiled.

So. My air conditioning went out in my place and I noticed the temp in my snakes cage was a bit high ( 90° on the cooler side) so I gave a 1/2" crack in the front enclosure. The next morning Zeus my regular ball python had escaped and was no where to be found. Looked everywhere. Each night about an hour after all the light in the house are out I'd walk the place with a flashlight to see if he'd emerge. Three nights after the escape I find him saddled up next to the hot side of the enclosure. With some struggle because he's clearly enjoying his freedom I get Zeus back into the enclosure. Upon inspecting him I notice a huge belly. Zeus has eaten either a really big mouse or a couple. Both of my snakes are usually the same size and Zeus is now almost three times the diameter of King. On a side note he has taken to striking everything that moves except King his brother. Should I be concerned that he's eaten wild mice? I've read all I can find on the subject of how to tame a striker and my conclusion is time will heal. So any input from the experts? I've not raised them from hatchlings in fact I've only had them for about a month. I bought them as a pair. Shortly after purchase I got the larger enclosure.

Thanks

Re: Escape foiled.

It may not be much of an issue that he has eaten although it could be a problem. You'll need to keep an eye on him and monitor his health closely to see how he behaves. The striking is probably hunting mode being triggered(possibly enough of rodent family around to keep him interested). It sounds as though you are housing two ball pythons together so until you are certain the escapee is fine you should probably separate them. That's just my two cents.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bmack For This Useful Post:

ssg150102 (07-24-2015)

Thanks
    Considered that too. Just don't have separate housing at the moment. Thought about lage Tupperware but heating and humidity issues