Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

2 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Tub and Rack questions

First off, this is a trivial question: I see a lot of people putting snakes in clear tubs, but the blacked out ones peak my interest. Does it affect temps? And what do you think the snake would be most comfortable in?
    Also, for racks, is there a way to convert the plastic storage drawers into cheap racks? Or perhaps a snake rack for one on a budget?
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Re: Tub and Rack questions

Their are a lot of diy posts about racks on here that run the gambit from quite cheep to several hundred dollars. Phone not letting me post links as far as the blacked out tubs I would think that would depend on where the rack and what the foot traffic is like. The lack of light I would think would make them feel more comfortable. But that's just from what I've been told.

snake room

Thanks

Re: Tub and Rack questions

From what I've read, the blacked out tubs make them feel more secure.

As far as racks, melamine is way too heavy IMO. I've recently switched to cabinet grade 3/4" oak plywood from home Depot for 50, but there is also 1/2" for 35. With the one sheet alone you can make a 7 tub, 12/28q rack following the xpvc guidelines.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143263

What I did recently is bought 3 sheets, and made 2, 10 tub racks because 7 Is too much wasted vertical space for me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tsanford; 07-23-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Too many issues with those cheap storage drawers to make them into viable racks, at least I've never seen any. I have see some where they bought those 5 tier plastic shelf units, like the kind you put in your garage, and just put tubs with lid on them and run heat tape. I prefer a nicer looking set up but I get it when you're on a budget. Now for the blacked out tubs, I use one as my quarantine, it has a locking lid and a UTH taped to the bottom, with a temp probe too of course. So when I need it I just get it off the shelf and hook it into a spare VE-100 thermostat I have and can set it up in another room for a couple of months. I can't say whether the black paint hold heat better I've never conducted a proper scientific study on it but if I had to hazard a guess I would say the difference is negligible.
    Cheers, Jeff