Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,962

1 members and 2,961 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Just sharing an experience.

I acquired my Albino ball python about 9 months ago. He has been an amazing pet, non-aggressive, isn't jumpy, easy to hold, never misses a meal, everything you want in a snake. About a week after I brought him home, I held him officially for the first time. He was so relaxed, and didn't seem to mind being held at all. I was so excited, my favorite morph was a gem of a snake. I let my snakes slither out of my hands when I put them back in their enclosures. As he was slithering in, at about half way, he stopped to take a drink. I was still holding him with two hands and he felt comfortable enough to drink! It was so incredible. I'll forever remember that moment. He was 350g when I got him, he is now a hefty 1400g and about 42 inches. He is still as amazing now as he was then, more so even. To this day he has never struck at me and is still as relaxed as ever .

Thanks for reading, I just felt like sharing. I struggle with depression, and experiences like that keep me going. He truly has improved my emotional well being.
    Last edited by Gary P; 07-22-2015 at 11:31 PM.
    1.0 Normal 1100g
    1.0 Normal 400g
    1.0 Orange Ghost 450g
    1.0 Albino 1400g

Normals are beautiful too .

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary P For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-23-2015),Reinz (07-22-2015),salt (07-23-2015),ssg150102 (07-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Great story.

My daughter had depression and anxiety which is why we initially allowed the BP which I ended up inheriting in the house in the first place.

We just thought it would be good for her to have an animal.

It it was not until I was living all alone caring for the snake and began to handle it, until I realized the full impact that these amazing creatures possess.
    The peace and tranquility that overcomes you. And the awe of their beauty and gracefulness that strikes you. The fear just melts away.

To take it a step further, I live in a lot pain 24/7. From believing that I was bullet proof in my early sports years to various medical conditions I have come down with.
    It just hit me the other day, when I handle these gentle animals I don't think about or even remember being in pain.

I think that is pretty remarkable medicine.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

BWB (07-23-2015),EL-Ziggy (07-23-2015),Gary P (07-23-2015),MidSouthMorphs (07-23-2015),ssg150102 (07-23-2015)

Thanks

Re: Just sharing an experience.

Awesome posts, from both of you. Python therapy is a thing.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks
    I was very surprised how therapeutic and relaxing having snakes could be. As was said above they calm you down. I find when work and home life is driving you to the edge, just having one of my girls out and watching over them creates a calming effect.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I've often said that keeping snakes is a big part of my Zen, kind of like cultivating bonsai. You all have used the perfect adjectives to describe my experiences too- beautiful, graceful, peaceful, tranquil, therapeutic, relaxing. I get great joy from caring for these amazing creatures.

Thanks

I wish I could get over my fear of ours. I love watching them slither around but holding them for me is scary. How do you get over the fear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stephy.lang07 For This Useful Post:

ssg150102 (07-23-2015)

Thanks
    Stephy I was always kind of scared of snakes that is what convinced me to get one in the first place. I have a friend who is into snakes and I bought him a ball for his birthday. I had to keep it in my house for a few hours before I gave it to him. Handling it was soooo scary to me at that point, but my kids wanted to see it and they had no fear of it. I had to man up and act like I wasent afraid to handle it in front of my kids because I didn't want to instill a fear of snakes in them. My heart was beating out of my chest being scared of snakes in general and the ball I got him being an adult female prob 4 foot plus and a thick 2200ish grams. When I first got her out of the bag I was jumpy so she was jumpy which in turn made me more jumpy lol. Showed the kids real quick then put her back. Then I was kind of upset with myself for being so scared and kind of a baby. I am the type that if I'm scared of something I will keep doing it until I'm not scared anymore, been like that since I was a kid. I took it to a quite room took a deep breath and took her out again. This time I was concentrating on relaxing and the more relaxed I became the more relaxed she became. Once I stopped worrying about her biting me I started appreciating her beauty, I even started to think about keeping her lol. Then I was hooked and got one of my own within in a couple months. So my suggestion on how to get over the fear is just to go for it and force yourself to handle one calmly eventually the fear will go away. You can only stay in fear for so long when there is no negative consequence. Eventually your brain will realize that the fear is irrational because nothing bad is happening and it will dissipate. I still handle that female every time I go over to his house. She was a great teacher and will always have a special place in my heart for that.
    Last edited by I BALL OUT; 07-23-2015 at 12:04 PM.