Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

3 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

??Do people care who buys there animals any more?

I fell like I'm seeing so many inproper setups and problems that are coming up day after day that is pretty basic stuff. Are people just selling there reptiles to people and not care ıf that person knows how to care for it..... I have personally never once sold a reptile to someone without getting to know that person a little by asking them questions......like what is your setup like what are ur temps,substrate,tstat,humidity. I have refused to sell to a few people based on there response and actually have had people I refused to sell to come back after doing some homework and saveing money for basic husbandry supplies and got the animal off me then........ My little sister(11) is really fascinated with bps so I gave her Kevin's New book for her bday and she is getting one of my hatchings for Xmas. She has saved up and bought her own t stat already and she's 11........so after my litte rant is over......has anyone else refused to sell to someone or have a normal list of basic questions they ask?

Sent from my LGL15G using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frostysBP For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (07-14-2015),GoingPostal (07-15-2015),Jeffco (07-23-2015),lorrainesmom (07-15-2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Re: ??Do people care who buys there animals any more?

I understand ur petsmarts and Petco dosent care. I talking more on the hobbiest breeder standpoint

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I've scared off my fair share of customers by answering their questions truthfully.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (07-14-2015),Eric Alan (07-14-2015),Lizardlicks (07-15-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frostysBP View Post
    I understand ur petsmarts and Petco dosent care. I talking more on the hobbiest breeder standpoint

Really? As far as I'm aware, both of these places have policies in place that say anyone can refuse the sale of any animal for any reason. Of course they care. Just because they're easy targets doesn't mean you need to be taking cheap shots at them.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (07-15-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    I've scared off my fair share of customers by answering their questions truthfully.
    And made a few customers this way too, I bet.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

John1982 (07-14-2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Yes petsmart and them can refuse sales but you don't see them doing it to often.. The give them a bulb and some repti carpet and send them on there way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Really? As far as I'm aware, both of these places have policies in place that say anyone can refuse the sale of any animal for any reason. Of course they care. Just because they're easy targets doesn't mean you need to be taking cheap shots at them.
    I don't really think it was meant as a cheap shot, both these stores do have policies in place, however I have never seen them refuse to sell a live animal to anyone. Not just with reptiles but with all animals they sell. Their husbandry in the stores is horrible, and the "care sheets" they provide aren't any better. I think the problem is most people that work there have zero reptile/exotic experience. I have been to some Petco's where I have asked to see one of the boas they had (just killing time) and the person in charge of the reptile area had to get someone else because they were afraid to pull it out. The Petsmart by my house has a Sun Conure for sale and they sales associate was telling a mom wanting to get a bird for their 6 year old that this was an easy bird to care for and would be great for a kid...
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes, I care.

I breed a number of animals, inc. meat rabbits and dairy goats, but I don't breed for money, nor do I advertise.
    Nevertheless, people do show up and ask. The few times I've let an animal go, I've almost always regretted the experience.

I just don't do it any more.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

The problem is even if you care who your animals go to, there is so much you can do.

You can ask questions but they can lie, they can also do great at first and than like some not care any longer.

And there is no solution for that, you can't request a home check prior to the purchase and than do so once a year.

So as a breeder you just hope for the fest and in the majority of cases that's just what happen.
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (07-15-2015),greco (08-01-2015),Marissa@MKmorphs (07-15-2015),sapphira80 (07-15-2015)

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks

I fell like I'm seeing so many inproper setups and problems that are coming up day after day that is pretty basic stuff. Are people just selling there reptiles to people and not care ıf that person knows how to care for it..... I have personally never once sold a reptile to someone without getting to know that person a little by asking them questions......like what is your setup like what are ur temps,substrate,tstat,humidity. I have refused to sell to a few people based on there response and actually have had people I refused to sell to come back after doing some homework and saveing money for basic husbandry supplies and got the animal off me then........ My little sister(11) is really fascinated with bps so I gave her Kevin's New book for her bday and she is getting one of my hatchings for Xmas. She has saved up and bought her own t stat already and she's 11........so after my litte rant is over......has anyone else refused to sell to someone or have a normal list of basic questions they ask?

I think it may be a little more complicated than this. I'm sure Petco and Petsmart would love to sell a large list of equipment to everyone buying their animals. A family member on my wife's side worked for Petco's corporate headquarters for awhile and I definitely never got the impression that she nor the company culture was one of uncaring. I think it's more ignorance of proper care. Certainly the breeders who are supplying them, and may be well known and respected names among hobbyists (I don't know who does these accounts anymore), are just as culpable as the chains. I've seen some local family run establishments that make chain pet stores seem incredibly caring. Not defending them, just saying I think it's more complicated a picture.

There are some incentives breeders can offer that can help. It would be unreasonable of me to demand an equipment list from every potential customer. However, I do offer an extended health guarantee for no cost if a customer sends me a photo of their set-up. For me at least, this has so far struck the best balance and allowed me to review a set-up that's more accurately represented with an image than with a (possibly faked) description.

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Even just asking a question in response can scare them off sometimes. I remember one guy having emailed me that he was all set to buy one of my dragons. He used to have one years ago but it broke it's leg and died. Never heard from him again after inquiring how his dragon broke it's leg... something that's very difficult for them to do on their own.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (07-14-2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast