Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,039

1 members and 3,038 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Good price for ASF's?

Okay, so I'm getting some ASF's from two different places(Tomorrow, and the day after.) The first one is a person who has around 50 younger ones to choose from(2-3 months old.) And they are selling me a 1:4 ratio for $10(They are selling them for $2.50 ea, and did a discount for multiple.) And the other person has also has a 1:4 ratio for $20 this time. But, the group has been breeding for a month(So they're probably about 4-5 months) And just weaned off a group of babies, and at least one of the girls is about ready to have her babies. I'll also be able to take some off spring from each group, and start a couple new colonies with totally unrelated blood. So, for $30 and 10 rats, I'm paying $3 each and getting the pinks free.

Are these good prices? I've never got ASF's before, and I haven't really seen any for sale.

I'm wanting to get snakes soon, but I want to have a steady supply of rats, mice and ASF first.(I already breed the mice and rats, and was wanting ASF anyways, so it's not a big deal to breed feeder quality for snakes.)

Thanks

Re: Good price for ASF's?

I think that's a great price (both deals). I paid much more than that. I think it was $80 for a 2:8 colony and I had to travel a bit (that's CAD though and they are really hard to find where I live). They have produced great for me and have been well worth the investment.
    Last edited by Creepy Alien; 07-13-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    $20 for a 1.4 groups is a good, just below average. I know most people sell a 1.3 for $20 or 1.4 for $25. Getting a colony for $10 is an excellent price! I breed mine for feeders and my two colonies cost me about $40 in total.

Thanks
    Thats a great price i paid $60 for 1:3 ratio i know thats to much but i didnt have a choice
    good luck
    -Chris

Thanks

Well worth the investmest and as of today, lots of fun to catch! I had branched off a second colony and unlike my main colony, this one isn't in a glass tank with a wire top. It's a plastic bin, with hardware cloth bolted on... they finally outsmarted me and figured out where to chew out a hole :-/ .

Sorry to highjack the thread, but I thought I should warn you... (and I use rubber coated work gloves when I move them around... they don't seem to be able to bite through that... but they have tried).

Thanks
    They range from $1, to $2.50, to $5, to $10 each. It depends on where you are, and what they're being bred for.

I charge $5 for males, and $10 for females, but they're extremely tame and well bred animals intended for pets.

Thanks

Well, the first people with the colony for $10 stood me up. Ended up waiting an hour, and they STILL haven't replied... I just picked up the others. At least three of the girls should have some soon. I'll tey to get some pictures.

Thanks

I think ASFs are the cutest looking rodents I've ever seen, along with being the creepiest looking that I've ever seen .

Btw... I found that the first couple of litters they had weren't as big (I'm not sure if that's because they were younger, or because they ate a bunch of babies), but the next round of litters were much bigger.

Thanks

Well, this would be all the girls second litters.

So, when I went out today, I noticed it looked like one of the (very pregnant) girls was gone. And I do NOT need a pregnant ASF escapee! Well, I looked in the cage, and saw that the other girl was laying on her. I at first thought she was dead, but she wasn't. I took her out and put her down and saw that she was trying to move herself with her front legs, and it looked like she couldn't move her back legs. I separated her from the colony, unsure of what else to do. At first I thought maybe she had a heat stroke, but they're in our barn, and it's not that hot. They have accesses to food and water. Any ideas on what happened? Yesterday I went out to find one of my nursing rats dead. Only thing I can think of, is the rat that was with her let her take all the babies, and hogged all the food.

Thanks
    The only time I have had them become paralyzed like that, is from old age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast