Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,257

2 members and 3,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake in the grass

I was just wondering what you guys think about letting your snake crawl around in the grass? Any unseen dangers I should worry about? I hate seeing him in the cage all the time. Kinda feel bad for him.

Thanks
    Generally not a great idea IMO. You never know what sort of pesticides might have washed in even if you don't personally use them, and going out in the sunshine to an unfamiliar area can be pretty stressful for BPs that prefer to stay hidden in the dark 95% of the time. Hiding in a dark hole seems like a miserable life for you and me, but it's really how BPs prefer to spend their time.

Plus, it only takes a second of looking away for a snake to disappear on you. They're only slow till they decide to motor. Just the risk of one trying to bolt is enough to keep me from taking any of mine outside.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    With the number of hawks we have around here, some of which are huge, I wouldn't chance it.
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks
    I actually do let my ball out, but in one section of my yard only, away from where the dogs are allowed to go. I don't use any pesticides, or fertilizer, and the house next door to me is abandoned, so no chemicals on that grass in over 4 years. I never take her out if temp is below 80, or above 90. Generally around late afternoon/early evening during the summer, right about the time she wakes up anyway. She seems to enjoy it, an explores in periscope mode.

My corn snake on the other hand, I never let down onto the grass,he would be gone in a second!

Thanks

Re: Snake in the grass

Took a chance and let him play in grass a bit at sun down. He seemed to like it. He was in periscope mode half of the time. He wrestled with me a bit when I went to get him. He didn't want to leave lol. We also had a robin thinking that he was the biggest worm ever but made the smart choice and stayed about three hops away.

Thanks

I've taken mine out for short excursions. Mostly to get pictures. Don't see the harm in it. I know what's in the grass, or not, and I give them a good once over before returning them to their enclosures.

Dave

Thanks
    My biggest concern would actually not be residual pesticides in the lawn, or fear of a predator attacking the snake. It would be neighbors. We must be cognizant of the fact that the vast majority of people do not like our reptiles. All it takes is nosy neighbor to overreact spread panic throughout the neighborhood and before long you could potentially have new ordinances being proposed that could prohibit reptile ownership in your city.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tbowman For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-14-2015)

Thanks
    I've made it a point to introduce my neighbors to my reptile pets just in cases the unthinkable happens and one gets out. We have awesome neighbors, and while most of them are not reptile fans, they wouldn't do anything to harm them either. Of course we have lived in our home over 12 years, and we've made it a point to make friends with the people who live around us, always waving hello, giving small gifts and cards during the holidays, and bringing meals and stuff to our elderly neighbor when she can't visit her family during Thanksgiving, ect.

I believe that if people get to know you as a person, they will at least not go out of their way to harm your pets. But then again, my husband and myself are competitive fencers, and practice in our front yard, and we have a 4 foot gargoyle in our flower bed; so maybe the neighbors are a bit afraid to piss us off..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lorrainesmom For This Useful Post:

tbowman (07-13-2015)

Thanks
    I'm not only referring to immediate neighbors, somebody that lives 10 houses down could be driving by, see something, and start a fuss. It's an unfortunate reality for many reptile owners.

Here is an example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcQ6TftiKBc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tbowman For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-14-2015)

Thanks

I live just outside of Detroit, me having a snake is the least of my neighbors worries. Most people I've come across are more curious than afraid. Plus there are retiles stores all over the place here. I can think of four of them 5 minutes or less drive from my house. Reptiles are not culture shock in these parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast