Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

1 members and 3,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks

What is a good thermostat for a small breeder?

Hey guys i want some oppinions, you know what im asking, you read the title.

A few days ago my savannah monitor finally layed eggs. I was expecting 25-30 eggs. Noooope, 42, only one iffy one too. So you can see the delema. I have my eggs in a s.i.m tub inside the incubator im using (a zoo med reptibator) but its too small for all the eggs. So soon, Im gonna be building a diy incubator (either out of an old fridge or a cooler using heat tape)

2 questions. First, how do i hook up the flexwatt heat tape to a thermometer? And second, what would be a good reliable thermostat that is also fairly affordable (nothing over 70$ if possible.)
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks
    If you only have $70, you are looking at dimmer switches or an on off system which really are not the best... herpstats are the better one but your are looking to spend at least $135 on one of those. If you do not mind an on/off system, you could try the stc 1000. It is roughly $28 on amazon... but I have used this thermostat. Basically you set it to a specific temperature in celcius. Then it heats the heat tape to full power until it reaches that specific temp then it cuts ALL power to the heat tape. When the heat tapegoes down a couple of degrees, again the thermostat will turn the heat tape to full power. Not very good in my opinion, especially since heat tape can reach 120F on full power. I am not sure how it would work in an incubator though... I used it in a snake rack and eventually I paid the price by it burning one of my snakes. A dimmer switch would be the next best option as it only allows a certain amount of power flow through the heat tape, but it fluctuates depending on the temperature of the room. Also not a very good idea for an incubator as well. I seriously think if you are talking about eggs, you need something a little more professional otherwise you just might run into problems during the incubation with means dead eggs, deformed and undeveloped babies. But that is just my $0.02. Good luck!

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    If you are going to breed anything, you're gonna need to need a quality reliable thermostat. Herpstats are on sale rn and you can pick up the basic model for only $103. It is absolutely worth it and imo essential to the success of your eggs.

A thermometer wouldn't hook up to your heat tape, you'd mount it (or put it on a shelf) somewhere in your incubate to read ambients.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whether you are a breeder or not, using a thermostat for your enclosures or your incubator you have to remember that the thermostat is the single most important piece of equipment you will own.

Vivarium Electronic and Herpstat are usually what I recommend (I prefer Herpstat myself).

The intro will work fine for an incubator http://www.spyderrobotics.com/store/...006308db7a3584 and is on sale right now at $89.10
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    there a reptile expo this weekend near me, im thinking that im just gonna try to get some extra cash and get an incubator there. it would be safer than me trying to make a diy thing. im gonna save up for a herpstat in the future too.

woops, i meant how do i hook up heat tape to a thermostat, not a thermometer.
    Last edited by Daniel.michelle; 07-07-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks
    It is actually pretty easy and surprisingly cheap to make your own incubator. I put an ad on Kijiji asking for a free broken fridge... people will give you free things to take off their hands just so they do not have to make the trip to a dump. So I easily got a free fridge and lined it with 12" heat tape. About $60 in cost. Then I bought the herpstat intro+ for $145. I spent a total of $205 on a DIY incubator that can hold up to 12 clutches of ball pythons. of course the freezer part of the fridge is now a cupboard that I use to store the incubation tubs. You would spend $300-$600 on a store bought incubator (like zoomed) that could hold maybe 2-6 clutches, which might be enough if you do not plan on being a big breeder. It is ultimately your choice and you know what your budget is. On youtube you can find step by step videos on how to make your own.

Thanks
    I have a 105 quart cooler that i can use (well, my girlfriend's parents) because its cracked and cant hold water for salmon fishing. I have heat tape egg crate etc. I just need recomendations on a good thermostat that wont cost a leg. Herpstat seems good.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1