Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,176

2 members and 3,174 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Holding Gaboon viper

Quote Originally Posted by tbowman View Post
    There is a big difference between a viper and an elapid. Anyone who's worked venomous for real will tell you that elapids are much more predictable. The most experienced people in the world will tail a cobra because it's generally safe once you understand the body mechanics of elapids. Vipers, especially Gaboons, are extremely unpredictable and they can hit you from any angle at any time. I don't see many professionals putting hands on a pit viper unless it's absolutely required.

I watched a documentary recently that pointed out that, despite how clumsy their shape might make them look, gaboons in particular can strike in a 180 degree radius. They also claimed that their striking speed has been measured and clocked in as being faster than lightning striking the ground. If I am not mistaken they also have the longest fangs of any venomous species at around 2'' (correct me if I am wrong there). That is not a snake you want to mess. I understand the temptation, they are beautiful animals, but that seems likely to wind up taking a nice long dirt nap thanks to his efforts.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiiarah For This Useful Post:

Megg (07-15-2015),Tsanford (07-12-2015)

Thanks

I wrote on the guys post, telling him he needs to have his own antivenom on hand as well, just in case there's not enough at the hospital and more needs to be shipped in. I'd gotten the impression he was doing it somewhat illegally? Perhaps without the proper permits? And hadn't really checked into what to do if he was bit except die? Is this the same guy? If so, I also asked him if he really cared for his snake because of there was no hot handler nearby (or even if there was but they couldn't take it or want it) the snake would be confiscated and euthanized. That to me is not really caring for your snake. The overall repercussions for the snake owning community as a whole would be ginormously impacted negatively. We'd be hearing of it for years about how we're irresponsible individuals not caring who got bit or killed by our snakes. All because of one guy with a venomous. I can understand him wanting acknowledgement of his achieving having held his gaboon by posting pictures of the event, but it shouldn't have been done. Gives everybody the wrong ideas. I love venomous, but know my limits and that I'm too careless. If you're going to do something, do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    This guy is obviously an attention seeker.

Who knows, he may have gone so far as to have removed the snake's fangs and or venom ducts and sacks.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    This guy is obviously an attention seeker.

Who knows, he may have gone so far as to have removed the snake's fangs and or venom ducts and sacks.
    A venomoid

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theoremofgoats View Post
    the irresponsible owners aren't going to be the only ones being punished.

^^^^^ This. Several proper on this thread make very good points, but being on Tapatalk, I can only quote one. I saw this post the first day and had to do a double take.

First, let me say, I am not against keeping hots, if that's what you want to do. I appreciate the beauty of many species, especially Gaboons, but I don't want to be responsible for one.

I think adults should be allowed to do as they like, as long as it doesn't interfere with the rights of others. I don't know this guy, or anything about him, but when I saw this post, the mother in me wondered how close his neighbors live. God forbid, what if he were bit or dropped dead of a heart attack, and the snake made it's way into a neighbor's yard where children were playing? That may be melodramatic, but if I, as a snake lover, have that thought cross my mind, what would the general public (or worse, the media) think?

I am just one IMHO, but I could see that used as an example of why snakes are harmful to society at large, and fodder to push more bans.

BPnet Senior Member MidSouthMorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 833 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.P.C View Post
    He dosent condone it, he says that no one should copy him for any reasons and that he has double checked with his local hospital and zoo about antivenom and both have it for the snake.

" people like that"... Do you know the guy, do you know his expierence with hots, or snakes in general for that matter. Is it a smart idea, of course not... but that dosent instantly make him one of those people, he was smart enough to double check about anti venom in more then one location and as for the aquarium... alot of people use them as a quarantene cage how do you know thats not what its being used for since the thread is about his new pickup.
    Yes he is "one of those" types. Handling any hot like this is asking for trouble. And antivenom is fine and all but it doesn't mean you will survive the bite. I am friends with a guy who was the primary caretaker (zookeeper) of all venomous at a zoo. He was tagged on the arm by a Gaboon Viper and barely survived with adequate antivenom on hand, with some having to be rushed in to save him. Over 30 bikes is what it took and he lost a lot of function on his arm. Posting pictures like that is spreading mishandling of dangerous venomous snakes. I have had hots since 2005, even had a pair of west African Gaboon Vipers, the 7 years I had them, my hands physically touched them maybe 5 times when it was absolutely necessary with the tubing method. That is a clear indication of someone who doesn't respect their animals, and eventually he will pay for that if he hasn't already.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MidSouthMorphs For This Useful Post:

EarMice (07-27-2015)

Thanks
    The ignorance shown by some of the new keepers/ members in this thread is astounding. This is not good for the reptile hobby. Situations like this should be vehemently condemned by all herpers, everywhere.

No good can come of this.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

blbsnakes (08-25-2015),MidSouthMorphs (08-24-2015)

Thanks
    What an incredibly stupid thing to do. Even if he has a million vials of anti-venom next to him and a doctor on hand, you can still die from a bite. Anti-venom doesn't guarantee your recovery, although it is extremely helpful. Even if you do survive, you can lose a hand, arm, or have other permanent damage. You will suffer regardless. Not only does he have all that to look forwards to, he will be taking anti-venom from people who might have an accidental bite.

All for what? A big balls card? Holding these animals like they are a corn snake is the ultimate disrespect to their lethality. There is no scientific, health, or monetary gain for doing something that dangerous. I'm all for people keeping hots. I think they are amazing animals, and I would love to see them. At the same time though, you have to respect these animals. He's setting himself up for failure for no reason at all. I think it's disgraceful and his dangerous animals should go to a better keeper.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-23-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: removing censor trip

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lpaulgib For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (09-21-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread has been cleaned up and a spinoff has been created in QT http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...viper-spin-off

Please keep in mind that the TOS still apply in QT

If you wish to gain access to QT please PM one of the ADMINS (name in RED)

Now I will also ask the participants of this thread to please STAY ON TOPIC.

Thank you.
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-23-2015),MarkS (09-23-2015)

Thanks

I have no right to comment. Watching a few YouTube videos and only discovering a passion for snakes in the last couple of months give me no right to comment. But with that mind, kids will be watching that thread, and kids think stuff like that is cool. I'd hate for a child to go out in his back yard as a result of watching that and pickup a venomous shake.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast