Well, I'm back for a bit, and with a question. Hopefully time hasn't erased any members who might actually remember me...

I'm getting tired of wooden cages. I built some pretty nice ones, but hate them. Wood, even when painted, gets dirty easily. The newspaper sticks to the bottom. The white paint is too bright, and doesn't give the night/day difference I'd like. The only upside is that they hold heat well.
And my precision cage I bought from precisioncaging.com isn't fairing well.

I'm heading back into tanks. I like how easy they are. You can heat them well, make good displays. And they're cheap. Thought about going with animal plastics. But to pimp it out to my specifications it'd end up being like 200$ a piece. Forget that. 2 50$ 30's will do me just fine.

My original hate for tanks stemmed from 2 things. They don't hold heat very well, or humidity.

The main problem with heat is the glass itself. And it isn't because the glass is a poor insulator either. It simply lets the light from my red bulbs go right out of the cage. And the light is the source of the heat. If I use those decorative backgrounds on 3 of the 4 sides, leaving the front free, it should keep a lot more of the light and heat from leaving. And it'd look pretty fly.

Another problem with heat, and the entire problem for humidity, is the screen tops. Which is basically where this whole thread should have gone to earlier, sorry.

Basically - does anyone know of a different type of top I could use. It'd need to have a spot for a heat lamp, and hopefully a florescent light.